Calculating Average Emission Wavelength from Spectral Intensity Chart

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average emission wavelength from a given function representing a graph of LED wavelength emission. The process involves finding the wavelength where the area of the function with shorter wavelengths is equal to the area of the function with longer wavelengths. However, there is some uncertainty about whether the indicated value in the graph is the average or the median. The average is defined as the integral of the function divided by the integral of the function, while the median is the point where 50% of the distribution is larger and 50% is smaller.
Xtensity
I haven't had calculus in over 2 years and so I am not exactly sure how to go about this. I am inclined to believe some form of integration would be needed.

I took the chart below from a paper on LED wavelength emission. The authors say that the vertical line represents the average emission wavelength. If say hypothetically I had a function to represent this graph, how would I go about finding this "average emission wavelength"? What is the process?
RxQBrq4.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe that you want to find the wavelength such that the area of the function with wavelengths shorter than the average is equal to the area of the function with wavelengths greater.
So if our function is on the interval [a,b], then we want [itex]\mu[/itex] to be chosen such that

[tex]\int_a^{\mu}f(x)dx=\int_{\mu}^b f(x)dx[/tex]

However, the area on the right side seems larger than the left in the graph you posted, so I'm not certain. The answer to your problem could even be as simple as taking the average value of the shortest wavelength and longest wavelengths registered.

Mentallic said:
I believe that you want to find the wavelength such that the area of the function with wavelengths shorter than the average is equal to the area of the function with wavelengths greater.
That would be the median.

The average is defined as
$$\mu = \frac{\int_a^b x f(x)dx }{ \int_a^b f(x)dx }$$
and the indicated value looks reasonable.

mfb said:
That would be the median.
Actually no, it wouldn't be that either.

mfb said:
The average is defined as
$$\mu = \frac{\int_a^b x f(x)dx }{ \int_a^b f(x)dx }$$
and the indicated value looks reasonable.
Oh yes that makes sense!

Mentallic said:
Actually no, it wouldn't be that either.
Why not?

If it were the median, then that would be assuming that the intensity of each wavelength of light would be constant, would it not?

Consider a light bulb that emits photons only in the visible light spectrum and cuts off abruptly before delving into the infrared and ultra-violet territory. But most of the photons being produced are of the shorter blue light wavelengths, producing what we consider to be a blue light bulb. The median photon would then be found closer to the blue end of the spectrum than the average of the max and min photons wavelengths.

Now just extend this concept to a continuous stream of wavelengths as in the OP, but with varying intensity.

Yes, where is the problem? The median is always defined at the point where 50% of the distribution is larger and 50% is smaller. This can differ from the average. We see this in post 1: the indicated line is the average, not the median.

Ugh... I made the mistake of thinking that you replied to my second guess that it could be the average of the shortest and longest wavelength. Sorry about wasting your time mfb.

1. How do I read a spectral intensity chart?

A spectral intensity chart typically plots the intensity of light at different wavelengths. The x-axis represents the wavelength and the y-axis represents the intensity. The higher the peak on the chart, the stronger the intensity of light at that particular wavelength.

2. What is the importance of calculating average emission wavelength from a spectral intensity chart?

Calculating the average emission wavelength from a spectral intensity chart can provide valuable information about the properties of a light source, such as its color and intensity. It can also help determine the composition of a sample, as different elements and compounds emit light at specific wavelengths.

3. How do I calculate the average emission wavelength from a spectral intensity chart?

To calculate the average emission wavelength, you need to first identify the peak wavelength on the chart. Then, measure the distance between the two points where the intensity drops to half of the peak intensity. Finally, take the average of these two distances and add it to the peak wavelength to get the average emission wavelength.

4. Can I use a spectral intensity chart to determine the energy of a light source?

Yes, you can use a spectral intensity chart to determine the energy of a light source. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, which can be calculated from the wavelength using the formula E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light. The higher the intensity at a particular wavelength, the more energy is emitted at that wavelength.

5. How can I use the average emission wavelength to compare different light sources?

The average emission wavelength can be used to compare the properties of different light sources. For example, if two light sources have similar average emission wavelengths, they likely emit light of the same color. Additionally, the intensity at different wavelengths can also be compared to determine which light source is more intense or emits light at a wider range of wavelengths.