How do I carry out an approximation for this equation?(if L Ns then what?)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Raziel2701
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Approximation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Raziel2701
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
[itex]\frac{Ns-L}{L+Ns}[/itex]

What does that reduce to if L << Ns ? Obviously setting L to zero leads me nowhere since that argument above is actually inside a logarithm. I don't know how to perform the approximation. And the answer can't be zero by the way. Is there something I can do here? Usually the only approximations I've done before are just expansions but this is already expanded.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write it as
$$\frac{1 - L/N_s}{1 + L/N_s}$$
and then use the Binomial theorem on ##(1 + L/N_s)^{-1}##.