How do I connect those wires?(pic included)

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks I've already done just that(ended up figuring it out from pictures of other motors). I bought the motor for cheap (12 dollars). It's a normal motor with a propeller, I'm working on a DIY project from scratch (a drone). This motor is just for expermineting and testing transistors, radio control etcetera. It's a brushless motor.
Jarfi
I got my new motor, it's from some random brand, and It seems like I have to stick the wires to the connections myself. So I am presented with 3 copper junctions, plain wires and 3 shrink tubes. I was wondering if I am supposed to solder the wires to the copper junction, then shrink the tube around that but what seems the most straight forward is that there is a cross in the copper junction and I was,

wondering if I am supposed to stick the wires inside this cross, without any soldering, then shrink the heat shrink tube around that area. How do I assemble this simple looking connection?

EDIT: Seriously though, these junctions don't make sense, I can't just stick the wires in this tiny spaced cross there, and I know the other hole is to accept inputs, I guess I just solder this into oblivion?

Attachments

• CAM00177.jpg
    CAM00177.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
I got my new motor, it's from some random brand, and It seems like I have to stick the wires to the connections myself. So I am presented with 3 copper junctions, plain wires and 3 shrink tubes. I was wondering if I am supposed to solder the wires to the copper junction, then shrink the tube around that but what seems the most straight forward is that there is a cross in the copper junction and I was,

wondering if I am supposed to stick the wires inside this cross, without any soldering, then shrink the heat shrink tube around that area. How do I assemble this simple looking connection?

EDIT: Seriously though, these junctions don't make sense, I can't just stick the wires in this tiny spaced cross there, and I know the other hole is to accept inputs, I guess I just solder this into oblivion?

The end of the metal plugs with the cross are meant to be pushed into holes somewhere -- they look very similar to "banana jack" plugs. You put the heat shrink tubing over a wire and push it back far enough that it won't be heated by soldering the end of the wire. Then put the end of the wire in the open "cup-like" end of the plug. Solder it in the cup, let it cool, then put the heat shrink over the cup end plus the wire and shrink it with a heat gun (or a lighter).

What does the motor look like? Where are you meant to plug in these connectors?

Some examples:RCA DT92CWB Banana Plug Connector (males):

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDvJx-G8BWtpStTxTud8kyqbyGEL8Dx8Y5lAOREfll7AT5d_uz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDvJx-G8BWtpStTxTud8kyqbyGEL8Dx8Y5lAOREfll7AT5d_uz.jpg

5.5mm CopterX Banana Plug (male):

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/images/products/CX-PLUG-BANANA-5-5MM-M_01.jpg

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/images/products/CX-PLUG-BANANA-5-5MM-M_01.jpg

3.5mm Connector (male and female):

http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/452858833/100x3-5mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-Banana-Plug-for-Battery.jpg

100x3-5mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-Banana-Plug-for-Battery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
The end of the metal plugs with the cross are meant to be pushed into holes somewhere -- they look very similar to "banana jack" plugs. You put the heat shrink tubing over a wire and push it back far enough that it won't be heated by soldering the end of the wire. Then put the end of the wire in the open "cup-like" end of the plug. Solder it in the cup, let it cool, then put the heat shrink over the cup end plus the wire and shrink it with a heat gun (or a lighter).

What does the motor look like? Where are you meant to plug in these connectors?

Thanks I've already done just that(ended up figuring it out from pictures of other motors). I bought the motor for cheap (12 dollars). It's a normal motor with a propeller, I'm working on a DIY project from scratch (a drone). This motor is just for expermineting and testing transistors, radio control etcetera. It's a brushless motor.

http://www.thanksbuyer.com/image/cache/data/sku-20885-1-600x600.jpg a picture of said motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend following the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the motor. It is important to properly connect the wires to ensure safe and efficient operation of the motor.

If the instructions are not clear or if there are no instructions provided, I would suggest consulting a professional or someone with experience in electrical connections. Soldering may be necessary to ensure a secure and stable connection, but it is important to use the correct tools and techniques to avoid damaging the motor or causing any safety hazards.

Furthermore, it is important to make sure the wires are connected to the proper terminals and that the connections are secure. If the junctions seem too small or complicated, it may be best to seek assistance rather than risking incorrect assembly.

In summary, it is important to carefully follow the instructions provided or seek professional assistance to properly connect the wires to the motor. Safety and proper functioning should always be a priority when dealing with electrical components.

1. How do I know which wire goes where?

To connect wires, you will need to refer to the wiring diagram or instructions provided with the equipment. This will show you which wire goes to which terminal.

2. Do I need to strip the wires before connecting them?

Yes, you will need to strip the insulation off the end of the wires before connecting them. This can be done using wire strippers or a sharp knife.

3. What if the wires are different colors?

Different colored wires usually indicate that they have different functions. Refer to the wiring diagram or instructions to determine which color corresponds to which function.

4. Can I use any type of wire to connect the equipment?

No, it is important to use the appropriate type of wire for the equipment you are connecting. This can vary based on the voltage and current requirements, so always refer to the instructions.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should connect the wires?

Yes, it is important to follow the wiring diagram or instructions carefully to ensure the wires are connected in the correct order. This will prevent any errors or malfunctions.