How do I extract melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax?

In summary, Rice Bran wax can be difficult to extract triacontanol from without using a lot of ethanol.
Marzfisch
How do I extract triacontanol (melissyl alcohol) from rice bran wax?

I have very little knowledge in chemistry, but can do basic procedures. I don't have a laboratory, just a kitchen.

Is it an alcohol? Like, same as ethanol alcohol? Does that mean I can mix rice bran wax with ethanol and isolate the triacontanol? I understand there are other "alcohols" present, but I'm sure you can see my lack of chemistry knowledge through this post.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, it is an alcohol, but I doubt it can be easily separated from other substances present. Separation techniques can be quite sophisticated. But the main problem is that it will probably require use of solvents that are not something you want to use in the kitchen - I don't expect triacontanol to be well soluble in ethanol, quite the opposite.

"Soluble in ethanol (sparingly), DMSO (sparingly), DMF (sparingly), and chloroform (~1.7 mg/ml). Insoluble in water. 1 Iyer, R.R., Mamdapur, V.R. Plant growth regulators: Syntheses of n-triacontynol, n-triacontenol, & n-triacontanol."

http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-205411-n-triacontanol.html

Does this mean I would get an awful yield using ethanol?

More like - you will be not able to separate it in a reasonable quantities without using tons (literally :wink:) of ethanol.

Well dang...

The horrible dissolution aside. Wiki describes Rice Bran wax as a composition of "aliphatic acids (wax acids) and higher alcohol esters. The aliphatic acids consist of palmitic acid (C16), behenic acid (C22), lignoceric acid (C24), other higher wax acids. The higher alcohol esters consist mainly of ceryl alcohol (C26) and melissyl alcohol (C30). Rice bran wax also contains constituents such as free fatty acids (palmitic acid), squalene and phospholipids."
That would imply a saponification before any triacotanol can be found. From what I remember making the saponification with NaOH will make soluble soap (depending on fatty acids) out of both the aliphatic acids and the esters exposing the alcoholic bits. You could end up with a water soluble soap mixed with water insoluble alcohols. The two alcohols will be hard to separate from this point though.

1. What is melissyl alcohol and why is it important to extract it from rice bran wax?

Melissyl alcohol is a type of fatty alcohol found in rice bran wax. It is important to extract it because it has various industrial and commercial uses, such as in the production of cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and food additives.

2. How is melissyl alcohol extracted from rice bran wax?

The most common method for extracting melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax is through a process called solvent extraction. This involves using an organic solvent, such as hexane, to separate the melissyl alcohol from the wax.

3. Can melissyl alcohol be extracted using other methods besides solvent extraction?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to extract melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax, such as molecular distillation and supercritical fluid extraction. However, these methods may be more complex and costly.

4. Is it safe to extract melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax at home?

No, it is not recommended to extract melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax at home. The process involves the use of flammable solvents and requires specialized equipment and expertise. It is best to leave the extraction process to professionals.

5. What are the potential risks and hazards associated with extracting melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax?

The main risks and hazards associated with extracting melissyl alcohol from rice bran wax include exposure to flammable solvents, potential skin and eye irritation, and inhalation of harmful fumes. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and procedures when conducting any type of extraction process.