How do i find the orthogonal projection of a curve?

In summary, to find the curve obtained as the orthogonal projection of the curve S in the yz-plane, you can eliminate the x variable from the two surface equations given. This will result in an equation describing the curve in terms of y and z, which is the projection of S onto the yz-plane.
kiwilava

Homework Statement

curve S is the intersections of two surfaces, i have to find the curve obtained as the orthogonal projection of the curve S in the yz-plane

Homework Equations

how do i find the orthogonal projection of curve S??

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the equation of curve S to be (y-1)^2+(z+2)^2=5
and i know that orthab=b-projab, where a and b are vectors

Physics news on Phys.org
(y-1)^2+(z+2)^2=5 doesn't describe a curve. It's cylindrical surface. How did you get that by intersecting two other surfaces?

the two surfaces are x=y^2+z^2 and x-2y+4z=0, i substituted x in the second equation.. is that correct?

Not really, if you want to get a curve. f(x,y,z)=C doesn't generally describe a curve. It's still a surface. On the other hand you did the right thing. Projecting an intersection of two surfaces to the yz plane just means eliminating x. Your expression in terms of y and z is already the correct curve in the yz plane.

do you know how i can find the curve obtained as the orthogonal projection of the curve S in the yz-plane? or did i already find the answer?

You already found the answer. If you have an (x,y,z) point on the curve then the projection to the yz plane is (y,z). That just means you take your two surface equations and eliminate x. What could be wrong with that?

Oh i see, thanks for your help! ^_^

Related to How do i find the orthogonal projection of a curve?

1. What is the definition of orthogonal projection?

The orthogonal projection is the process of projecting a curve onto a line or plane at a right angle, creating a new curve that represents the original curve's closest points to the line or plane.

2. What is the purpose of finding the orthogonal projection of a curve?

The purpose of finding the orthogonal projection of a curve is to simplify complex curves and make calculations easier, as well as to find the closest point of a curve to a specific line or plane.

3. How do I find the orthogonal projection of a curve on a line?

To find the orthogonal projection of a curve on a line, you will need to use the formula p = (v⋅u/u⋅u)u, where p is the orthogonal projection point, v is the curve's point, and u is the direction vector of the line. This will give you the closest point on the line to the curve.

4. How do I find the orthogonal projection of a curve on a plane?

To find the orthogonal projection of a curve on a plane, you will need to use the formula p = v - (v⋅n/n⋅n)n, where p is the orthogonal projection point, v is the curve's point, and n is the normal vector of the plane. This will give you the closest point on the plane to the curve.

5. Can the orthogonal projection of a curve be negative?

Yes, the orthogonal projection of a curve can be negative if the original curve and the line or plane are not aligned in the same direction. This means that the closest point on the line or plane is in the opposite direction of the original curve's point.