How do I find velocity from acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an automobile and a truck with different accelerations and how to calculate the velocity from acceleration. The equation r=r+Vt+1/2at^2 is used to calculate the distances and velocities of the two vehicles. The person asking for help is having trouble with their calculations and is seeking assistance from the members of the forum.
dyslexiateech
How do I find velocity from acceleration??

1. An automobile and a truck start from rest at the same instant, with the automobile initially at some distance behind the truck. The truck has a constant acceleration of 2.00 , and the automobile an acceleration of 3.42 . The automobile overtakes the truck after the truck has moved a distance 41.0 .

r=r+Vt+1/2at^2

I get 40=vf^2/4, which gives me 40, but that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi dyslexiateech ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to hlep! :smile:

1. How is velocity related to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related. Velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes with respect to time, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes with respect to time. In other words, acceleration is the derivative of velocity.

2. What is the formula for finding velocity from acceleration?

The formula for finding velocity from acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

3. Can velocity be negative if acceleration is positive?

Yes, velocity can be negative even if acceleration is positive. This happens when an object is slowing down, but still moving in the positive direction. For example, a car's velocity can be negative if it is slowing down while moving forward.

4. How do I find velocity from acceleration if the acceleration is not constant?

If the acceleration is not constant, you will need to use calculus to find the velocity. You can use the formula v = u + at for each small time interval, calculate the velocity at each interval, and then add them together to find the total velocity.

5. Can you find velocity from acceleration if you only have a graph of acceleration versus time?

Yes, you can find velocity from acceleration if you have a graph of acceleration versus time. The velocity at any point on the graph can be found by finding the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. This slope represents the instantaneous acceleration at that point, and can be used to find the velocity at that instant.