How do I format my hard drive and reinstall Windows Me?

In summary: When you try to install Windows XP on a computer that already has Windows Me, the installer will not allow you to format the drive. You will need to delete the existing OS and start over.
leka
hi everyone,
I am having problems with my computer. It started beeing slow and then when I turned it on the other day an error message came up when loading windows that a file is corrupted and that I need to reinstall the windows Me.
Tried to install it and half way getting another error message regarding the hard drive and kept stopping and asking to restart the installation. Tried a couple of times and the same thing hapened. I am thinking to Format the hard drive(delete everything) and re install windows Me again.
Does anyone know how to format the driver? Or does anyone have any opinion as to what I should do?
thanks for your help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The Windows installer should give you an option to format the hard drive as part of the installation.

I also strongly recommend you use a version of Windows later than Me, because Me is extremely buggy.

- Warren

My opinion is that you should install linux. I have a computer that Windows 98 will crash on either during the install or a few minutes after the first boot up after an installation. It is an alleged hard drive problem (if it crashes during installation ) or an alleged video driver problem (if it crashes after bootup ). However I found a fabulously less expensive http://fedora.redhat.com system that, wonder of wonders, does not have these problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your help

chroot said:
The Windows installer should give you an option to format the hard drive as part of the installation.

I also strongly recommend you use a version of Windows later than Me, because Me is extremely buggy.

- Warren

I came to the forum to ask a similar question so I'll just expand on this thread... when I use the XP disk to try to replace ME, it won't let me format the part that has the existing OS. I just can't do it. It tells me (when I try to delete that particular partition in the installation process) that that part of the hd has temporary files necessary to installation. How can I go about erasing everything and starting from a clean slate?

Thanks

1. How do I format my hard drive?

To format your hard drive, you will need to access your computer's "Disk Management" tool. This can be found by searching for "disk management" in the start menu on a Windows computer or by going to the "Applications" folder and then "Utilities" on a Mac. Once in Disk Management, you can select your hard drive and choose the option to format it.

2. Will formatting my hard drive erase all of my data?

Yes, formatting your hard drive will erase all of the data on it. It is important to back up any important files before formatting to avoid losing important information.

3. How long does it take to format a hard drive?

The time it takes to format a hard drive can vary depending on the size and type of the drive. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. Can I format a specific partition on my hard drive?

Yes, you can choose to format a specific partition on your hard drive rather than the entire drive. This can be helpful if you have multiple partitions and only want to format one of them.

5. Is formatting my hard drive necessary?

In some cases, formatting your hard drive may be necessary. For example, if your computer is running slow or experiencing errors, formatting can help improve its performance. However, it is not always necessary and should only be done if there is a specific need for it.