How do i identify an unknown gas knowing very little

• Thread starter charizzardd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation is about designing a procedure to identify an unknown gas inside a syringe using pressure transducers and software. The equations and theories being considered include the ideal gas equation, Boyle's law, Maxwell equations, and the relationship between molar mass and voltage. The goal is to eventually identify the gas by using only the volume and voltage readings. The potential approach involves graphing the voltage and finding the associated current, equating work and power, and using the ideal gas law to find the number of moles and molecular weight of the gas. Assistance is requested in finding the right direction for the procedure.
charizzardd
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

I have to design a procedure to figure out what an unknown gas inside a syringe of known volume is. We are also given pressure transducers and have software(labview) that will allow us to graph voltage created by changing the volume of the syringe. I have no clue how to do this.

Is there some relationship between molar mass, and voltage? I have been messing around with ideal gas equation, boyles law, and maxwell relations but I still can't get anywhere with this.

Basically we need to design the procedure using only air, so that we can eventually do our procedure on an unknown gas sample in a syringe and identify the gas. I am not even looking for complete answers, maybe just some tips. How can I identify the gas knowing only volume and voltage created. I guess I can figure out the pressure as well using a bourdon gage or something, but that is it. Please help!

Homework Equations

Thermodynamic equations,
p=p(V,T) where p is pressure, V is volume, and T is temperature.

([tex]\Delta[/tex]p=([tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]V)[tex]_{T}[/tex]dV + ([tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]T)[tex]_{V}[/tex]dT

*note all superscripts are subscripts, i don't klnow why it is coming in as super when i put it in as sub, anyway, they are just denoting that that variabvle is constant fro that partial derivative.

or maybe energy? I am also thinking that if i can graph the voltage, then perhaps I can find the current associated with that, Power=VI, which is in watts/s from here I can equate work and power, work being the change in internal energy as there is no temperature change. Well I am sure there is, but it is negligable and therefore not counted. The fluid is being treated as an ideal gas, at constant pressure and mass.maxwell equations

U=U(s,V):

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=([tex]\partial[/tex]U/[tex]\partial[/tex]s)[tex]_{V}[/tex]dt + ([tex]\partial[/tex]U/[tex]\partial[/tex]V)[tex]_{s}[/tex]dVThen [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=Q-W

W also = [tex]\int[/tex]pdV where p is pressure and V is volume.
Perhaps I can find mass from here, and using ideal gas finding the numbe rof moles, and using it to find the molecular weight, and there for identifying the gas.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
charizzardd said:
Is there some relationship between molar mass, and voltage?
The voltage must refer to a sensor of some kind. Your question can't be answered without knowing the type of sensor.

Related to How do i identify an unknown gas knowing very little

1. How do I determine the chemical composition of an unknown gas?

In order to identify an unknown gas, you can perform a variety of tests such as spectroscopy, gas chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These tests will provide information about the chemical composition and molecular structure of the gas.

2. Can I use my sense of smell to identify an unknown gas?

While certain gases may have distinct odors, it is not recommended to rely on your sense of smell to identify an unknown gas. Some gases are odorless and others may have a faint or undetectable smell. It is important to use scientific methods to accurately identify the gas.

3. How do I know if the unknown gas is hazardous?

If you are unsure of the hazards associated with the unknown gas, it is best to treat it as potentially hazardous and take precautions such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. You can also consult material safety data sheets (MSDS) or contact a local laboratory for assistance.

4. What equipment do I need to identify an unknown gas?

The specific equipment needed will depend on the type of tests you plan to perform. However, some commonly used equipment for gas identification includes gas detectors, gas analyzers, and gas collection tubes. It is important to have proper training and knowledge on how to use these instruments.

5. Can an unknown gas be identified without any specialized equipment?

In some cases, it may be possible to identify an unknown gas without specialized equipment by conducting simple tests such as heating the gas and observing its color or conducting a flame test. However, these methods may not provide a complete and accurate identification, so it is best to use proper equipment and methods for a more reliable result.