1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy Difference of an Unknown Gas (not an ideal gas)

Tags:
  1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Temperature, pressure and volume measurements performed on 1 kg of a simple compressible substance in three stable equilibrium states yield the following results.

State 1 (T1=400 C , V1= 0,10 m3, P1=3 MPa)
    State 2 (T1=400 C , V1= 0,08 m3, P1=3,5 MPa)
    State 3 (T1=500 C , V1= 0,10 m3, P1=3,5 MPa)

Estimate the difference in entropy S2-S1

2. Relevant equations
    We don't know the gas. So I can't assume this is an ideal gas and I can't go to thermodynamics tables. I don't know the relevant equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I didn't get why the question identifies state 3. I think we can completely ignore state 3 because the question is entropy difference between state 2 and state 1.

This is clearly a compression process, (volume decreases, pressure increases) but temperature stays still. But when a gas is compressed, its pressure and temperature rises. So there must be heat transfer going on.

Entropy change = Sgen + Q/T
    But we don't know the entropy generation so we can't go from here.

I assume I need a relation related with volume and pressure that yields entropy but in constant temperature. Is there a relation like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2
    Yes. There is a relation for the partial derivative of entropy with respect to pressure at constant temperature in terms of the P-V-T properties of a gas.
    Have you studied that yet? Are you learning about the Maxwell equations in your course yet? The derivation starts off with dG=-SdT+VdP.

4. Dec 17, 2015 #3
    Yes we are learning maxwell equations in fact. That derivation must be dG=-SdT+VdP+∑μidNi from my notebook.

The relation you have mentioned is probably -(∂S/∂P)T=(∂V/∂T)P and with that equation my solution would include state 3. But how could i go with this equation I'm not clear. Although I'm very doubtful, can I think the above equation as -(ΔS/ΔP)between state 1-2=(ΔV/ΔT)between state 2-3? Otherwise I don't know what to do.

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4
    Yes, that's what you do. They said "estimate" the entropy change, so using finite differences is OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted