How do I know if this field has a mass term?

In summary, the conversation touches upon the topic of Special Relativity and the Lagrangian formula used to solve a field theory problem. The Lagrangian in question is a nonlinear field theory with no clear meaning for a mass term, but by treating the parameter "a" as small and doing a Taylor expansion of the exponential, a mass term can be generated.
Lecticia
1. Special Relativity

2. Homework Statement
Consider this Lagrangian:

L=(1/2) (\partial_{\mu} \Psi)(\partial^{mu} \Psi) + \exp(-(a\times \Psi)^2)

Have this field a mass term?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what one intended to write, or is this given in some text?

[tex]L= \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \Psi)(\partial^{\mu} \Psi) + e^{-{(a \Psi)}^2} [/tex]

Astronuc said:
Is this what one intended to write, or is this given in some text?

[tex]L= \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \Psi)(\partial^{\mu} \Psi) + e^{-{(a \Psi)}^2} [/tex]

Yes, exactly this Lagrangian, where \Psi is a scalar field.

Last edited:
Lecticia said:
Yes, exactly this Lagrangian, where \Psi is a scalar field.

This is a nonlinear field theory so, strictly speaking, there is no clear meaning for a mass term.
But I am guessing that they want you to treat the parameter "a" as small and to do a Taylor expansion of the exponential. If you do that, you will generate a mass term.

That's my guess.

Well, just one question, you have the lagrangian, what are the field eqn's ?

dextercioby said:
Well, just one question, you have the lagrangian, what are the field eqn's ?

Do you mean the motion equations?

nrqed said:
This is a nonlinear field theory so, strictly speaking, there is no clear meaning for a mass term.
But I am guessing that they want you to treat the parameter "a" as small and to do a Taylor expansion of the exponential. If you do that, you will generate a mass term.

That's my guess.

Thanks, I'll think about this...

1. How do I determine if a field has a mass term?

The presence of a mass term in a field can be determined by analyzing the Lagrangian of the field. A mass term appears as a quadratic term in the Lagrangian, with a coefficient representing the mass of the field.

2. What is the significance of a mass term in a field?

A mass term in a field indicates that the field has a non-zero rest mass, which means it cannot travel at the speed of light. This has important implications for the behavior of the field and its interactions with other particles.

3. Can a field have a mass term and still be massless?

No, a field with a mass term is by definition a massive field and cannot be considered massless. A massless field does not have a mass term in its Lagrangian and travels at the speed of light.

4. How does the presence of a mass term affect the symmetry of a field?

The presence of a mass term can break the symmetry of a field. For example, if a field has a mass term and also has a symmetry under rotations, the mass term will break this symmetry and the field will no longer behave the same way under rotations.

5. Can a mass term be added to a field without breaking any symmetries?

Yes, it is possible to add a mass term to a field without breaking any symmetries. This is known as a spontaneous symmetry breaking, where the field itself remains symmetric, but the vacuum state of the field is not.