How do I know what's in series and what's in parallel in this circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for determining whether resistances are in parallel or series, including using Kirchoff's laws and Y-Delta transforms. The arrangement shown involves a Y-arrangement inside a Delta-arrangement, making it more complex to analyze. It is suggested to be alert for simplifying conditions, such as equal resistances, that may make the analysis easier.
(Marko)
I've found many methods on how to know whether resistances are in parallel or in series but I don't know how to apply any of them on this one
tmp_27980-New Doc 2_1-349246184.jpg
tmp_27980-New Doc 2_1-349246184.jpg

Likes Waking-Up
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
I think that this is an example of a circuit in which the simple classification of series or parallel doesn't help when trying to analyse it. You can apply Kirchoff's laws to solve such problems and they do not use names like series or parallel - they just use nodes and loops. (I don't know whether or not you have come across Mr K, yet but he can be very useful)
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/13.html how such arrays can be analysed, using the transforms provided in it - so you don't need to use Kirchoff for those straightforward arrangements..

I notice that R2 through R5 forms a wheatstone bridge circuit with R1 in parallel with it. The unmarked resistor is where the meter or null indicator would normally go.

I've found many methods on how to know whether resistances are in parallel or in series but I don't know how to apply any of them on this
As has been stated, there is series, there is parallel, and then there is other. :)

The arrangement shown becomes very easy to analyze if you are told that R4=R5 and R2=R3. Under those conditions you can completely overlook the resistor which when labelling you already seem to have overlooked. :w

It is a favourite of examiners to use a 5 resistor arrangement like this on a test paper, and give it that simplifying condition without highlighting having done so, therefore it's in your interest to always be alert to that.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
As has been stated, there is series, there is parallel, and then there is other. :)

The arrangement shown becomes very easy to analyze if you are told that R4=R5 and R2=R3. Under those conditions you can completely overlook the resistor which when labelling you already seem to have overlooked. :w

It is a favourite of examiners to use a 5 resistor arrangement like this on a test paper, and give it that simplifying condition without highlighting having done so, therefore it's in your interest to always be alert to that.
I forgot to mention that it said that all resistors have the same resistance

Can't add much to this discussion except to confirm that there is "other". :)

(Marko) said:
I forgot to mention that it said that all resistors have the same resistance
Okay! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/thumb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It looks to me like you have a Y-arrangement inside a Delta-arrangement. You could tackle this by say, converting the Y to a Delta and then you get two Deltas 'on top of each other', i.e. in parallel.

Here are the details on Y-Delta transforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

A series circuit is a circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. A parallel circuit is a circuit in which the components are connected in separate branches, with the total current split between them.

2. How can I determine if a circuit is in series or parallel?

The easiest way to determine if a circuit is in series or parallel is to examine the path of the current. In a series circuit, the current flows through each component in a single path. In a parallel circuit, the current splits into multiple paths, with each component receiving a portion of the total current.

3. Can a circuit have both series and parallel components?

Yes, a circuit can have a combination of series and parallel components. This is known as a series-parallel circuit. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in series while others are connected in parallel.

4. How does the type of circuit affect the overall resistance?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current is split between multiple paths, reducing the overall resistance.

5. How do I calculate the total current in a series-parallel circuit?

In a series-parallel circuit, the total current is equal to the total voltage divided by the total resistance. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I = V/R). First, calculate the total resistance by finding the equivalent resistance of the series and parallel components. Then, divide the total voltage by the total resistance to find the total current.