How do I measure the synodic rotation period using sunspots?

In summary, to measure the sidereal synodic rotation period of the sun using sunspots, you take 5 images of a common sunspot and track its movement, drawing a line and semicircle to determine its actual position on the sun. Then, using 8 pairs of angles between the sunspots, you can calculate the synodic period of rotation using the third formula, which involves finding the average rate of change of the angles over time. This will require the time and date of when the sunspots were observed.
fatima_a
Ok so I have a project and I have to measure the sidereal synodic rotation period of the sun using sun spots. I have included a diagram of what to do. but I will explain it too. you take 5 images with a common sunspot and track it's movement on those 5 days (on the diagram, the sunspot is labeled s1 - s5, where s = sunspot and # = the day it was observed)

you draw a line connecting the sunspots and it should be parallel to a line across the center of the sun. then you draw a semicircle across the line connecting the sunspots and transfer the sunspots onto the semicircle, this is the actual position of the sunspots on the sun.

I have done all this, but here is where I am confused, it says you have to measure the angle between each pair, not all the pairs, but only for at least 8 pairs. how would i get 8 pairs from 5 sunspots? does that mean angle b/w s1 and s2 = 1 pair and angle b/w s1 and s5 = 2nd pair etc...and I need to do this for 8 pairs?

I do have the time and date of when the sunspots were observed, which I didn't show on the diagram or here, but how would I use the information of the angle and the time to compute the synodic period of rotation? is there a formula i have to use which incorporates angles and time? because so far I have came across 3 formulas:

1) the regular 1/s = 1/sidereal - 1/earth's sidereal...I can't use this because I don't know the sidereal period, that's what I have to find at the end.

2) synodic rotation period = circumference of sun/speed of sunspot travel...I don't think I am suppose to use this because it doesn't ask me to calculate the speed or use the circumference anywhere

3) synodic period = 360/slope...is this the one to be used? I am not sure about this.

The link to the diagram is given below, any help would be appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/d6OhX36.png

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, the third formula is the one to be used. To get 8 pairs from 5 sunspots, you can take the angle between any two consecutive sunspots: s1-s2, s2-s3, s3-s4, s4-s5. Then you calculate the angle between the first and last sunspot: s1-s5. This will give you a total of 8 pairs of angles. Once you have the angles, you can use the third formula to calculate the synodic period of rotation. The slope is the average rate of change of the angle over time, so for each pair of sunspots, you calculate the angle between them, then divide that by the time difference between when they were observed. You then add up all those slopes and divide it by the total number of pairs (which should be 8). That will give you the average rate of change of the angle over time, or the slope. You then plug that into the third formula to calculate the synodic period of rotation.

1. How do I identify and track sunspots?

In order to measure the synodic rotation period using sunspots, you will first need to identify and track individual sunspots. This can be done using specialized solar telescopes or by projecting the image of the sun onto a piece of paper using a pinhole camera. Once a sunspot has been identified, you can track its movement over time to determine its rotation.

2. How do I record the movement of sunspots?

To accurately measure the rotation period of sunspots, it is important to record their movement over a period of time. This can be done by taking regular observations and recording the position and size of each sunspot. Alternatively, you can use image-processing software to track the movement of sunspots in images taken at different times.

3. How long should I track sunspots to measure the synodic rotation period?

The length of time needed to accurately measure the synodic rotation period using sunspots can vary depending on the activity level of the sun. Generally, it is recommended to track sunspots for at least one full solar rotation, which is approximately 27 days. However, for more accurate results, it is recommended to track them for multiple solar rotations.

4. Can I use any sunspot to measure the synodic rotation period?

While any sunspot can technically be used to measure the synodic rotation period, it is important to choose sunspots that are well-defined and have a clear and consistent rotation pattern. This will ensure more accurate results. It is also recommended to track multiple sunspots at once to account for any irregularities or changes in rotation.

5. How do I calculate the synodic rotation period using sunspots?

To calculate the synodic rotation period using sunspots, you will need to track the movement of the sunspots and record their positions and sizes over a period of time. Once you have this data, you can use mathematical formulas and equations to determine the rotation period. Online calculators and software programs are also available to assist with these calculations.