How do I prove Lorentz Invariance using 4-vectors?

In summary, the problem is to prove the equation Et - p⋅r = E't' - p'⋅r' using the given equations for t, x, y, z, E, and p. The approach is to multiply out the first two terms and then work with the p and r terms, multiplying each component and adding the products. The squared gamma factor helps to simplify the remaining terms.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

I'm asked to prove that Et - p⋅r = E't' - p'⋅r'

Homework Equations

t = γ (t' + ux')
x = γ (x' + ut')
y = y'
z = z'

E = γ (E' + up'x)
px = γ (p'x + uE')
py = p'y
pz = p'z

The Attempt at a Solution

Im still trying to figure out 4 vectors. I get close to the solution but I have some values hanging around.
For the first two terms, E and t, i just multiple them out.
(γ (E' + up'x))(γ (t' + ux') )

Next I work with the p and r. The way i understand them is that that p is equal to the three different equations i have listed for px,py, and pz. And the same thing for r but with x,y, and z. I am guessing that because i don't a lorentz transformation formula for just p or r.

I then multiply px with x, py with y, and pz with z. adding the products of each along the way.

am i on the right track? I start canceling terms but ultimately I'm left with a γ2ut'uE' and γ2ux'up'. I'm also left with a bunch of γ2's.

Physics news on Phys.org
i just figured it out. the squared gamma factor helps me get rid of the left over terms. i forgot that gamma was something more than just a variable.

Related to How do I prove Lorentz Invariance using 4-vectors?

What is Lorentz Invariance?

Lorentz Invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This means that the physical properties of an object or system should not change when observed from different perspectives.

Why is Lorentz Invariance important?

Lorentz Invariance is important because it is a fundamental principle that is essential in understanding and describing the behavior of objects and systems in the universe. It is a crucial aspect of special relativity and is necessary in the development of many other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics.

How is Lorentz Invariance proven?

Lorentz Invariance is proven through experimental evidence and mathematical equations. Experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment have provided strong evidence for the validity of Lorentz Invariance. Additionally, the equations of special relativity, which incorporate Lorentz Invariance, have been extensively tested and have consistently been shown to accurately describe physical phenomena.

What are the consequences of violating Lorentz Invariance?

If Lorentz Invariance were to be violated, it would mean that the laws of physics are not the same for all observers and that the fundamental principles of special relativity would be incorrect. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and would require a major revision of our current theories.

Is Lorentz Invariance universally accepted?

Yes, Lorentz Invariance is a well-established principle in physics and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to be accurate in describing the behavior of objects and systems in the universe. However, some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, propose modifications to Lorentz Invariance, but these are still subject to further research and testing.