How do I see if the equations of motion are satisfied?

In summary: So I think you should find ##K_{\mu \nu\alpha}## and show its divergence is zero if the equations of motion are satisfied. Then you can check that it satisfies the equations of motion.
sayebms

Homework Statement

(a) Calculate the Conserved currents $$K_{\mu \nu \alpha} $$ associated with the global lorentz transformation and express them in terms of energy momentum tensor.
(b) Evaluate the currents for $$L=\frac{1}{2}\phi (\Box +m^2)\phi$$. Check that these currents satisfy $$\partial_{\alpha} K_{\mu \nu \alpha}=0$$ on the equations of motion.
(c) what is the physical interpretation of the conserved quantity $$Q_i=\int d^3xK_{0i0}$$ associated with boosts?
(d) show that $$\frac{dQ_i}{dt}$$ can still be consistent with $$i\frac{\partial Q_i}{\partial t}=[Q_i,H]$$[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the part (a) as following (note epsilon is small)
$$j^{\mu}=- \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}\epsilon ^{\rho}_{\nu}x^{nu} \partial_{\rho}\phi+\epsilon^{\mu}_{\nu}x^{nu}L=-\epsilon^{\rho}_{\nu} T^{\mu}_{\rho}x^{\nu}$$
but considering the anti symmetry of epsilon we have to write it as following:
$$K_{mu\nu\alpha}=x_{\nu}T_{\mu\alpha}-x_{\alpha}T_{\mu\nu}$$
is this correct?

and for part (b) do I just check the equations of motion and see if they become zero or do I actually find the currents one by one?

from equations of motion I know $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi_n)}=0$$ which gives me $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}=0$$ and hence I just get $$(\Box + m^2)\phi=0$$ which is only held if phi is exponential. Am i doing it right?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
sayebms said:
(b) [...] Check that these currents satisfy $$\partial_{\alpha} K_{\mu \nu \alpha}=0$$ on the equations of motion.

[...] and for part (b) do I just check the equations of motion and see if they become zero or do I actually find the currents one by one?
The question said "on" the equations of motion. That probably means ##K_{\mu \nu\alpha}## has zero divergence only if the equations of motion are also satisfied. I.e., when you calculate the divergence it probably won't be zero, but will have terms that vanish if the equations of motion are satisfied.

1. What are the equations of motion?

The equations of motion, also known as Newton's laws of motion, are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They are fundamental principles in classical mechanics and are used to calculate the motion of objects in space and time.

2. How do I know if the equations of motion are satisfied?

To determine if the equations of motion are satisfied, you need to check if the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This can be done by calculating the net force and comparing it to the object's mass and acceleration values.

3. What happens if the equations of motion are not satisfied?

If the equations of motion are not satisfied, it means that there is an unbalanced force acting on the object. This can result in a change in the object's velocity or direction of motion, causing it to accelerate or decelerate.

4. Can the equations of motion be applied to all objects?

The equations of motion can be applied to all objects, as long as they are not moving at speeds close to the speed of light or on a microscopic scale. They are most commonly used for macroscopic objects with relatively low speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to the equations of motion?

While the equations of motion are accurate for most situations, they do have some limitations. They do not account for factors such as air resistance, friction, or the curvature of the Earth, which can affect the motion of objects in certain scenarios. In these cases, more advanced equations or models may be needed.