How do I show that a derivative of a polynomial has a zero in an interval?

In summary, to determine the derivative of a polynomial, you can use either the power rule or the product rule. A polynomial has a zero in an interval if there exists a value of x within that interval that makes the polynomial equal to zero. This can be shown using the intermediate value theorem, which states that a continuous function must take on every value between two points in an interval. A polynomial can have more than one zero in an interval, which occurs when the graph of the polynomial crosses the x-axis multiple times. The derivative of a polynomial can also be used to show that it has a zero in an interval by observing a change in sign of the derivative, indicating a change in direction of the polynomial's graph.
Charles49

Homework Statement

If an even degree polynomial of order 2n intersects the x-axis twice, how do I show that the (2n-1) th derivative has a zero in that interval?

Homework Equations

example: let g(x)=x^3(1-x). Show without computation that g'''(c) =0 for some c in (0, 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that g' has a zero at x=1/2 because that is a maximum. I don't know how I can be sure that the 2nd and 3rd derivative have a zero in this interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
consider what happens to terms less of order (2n-2) and less...

Related to How do I show that a derivative of a polynomial has a zero in an interval?

1. How do I determine the derivative of a polynomial?

To determine the derivative of a polynomial, you can use the power rule or the product rule. The power rule states that the derivative of xn is n*x^(n-1). The product rule states that the derivative of f(x)*g(x) is f'(x)*g(x) + f(x)*g'(x), where f'(x) and g'(x) are the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) respectively.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to have a zero in an interval?

A polynomial has a zero in an interval if there exists a value of x within that interval that makes the polynomial equal to zero. This means that the graph of the polynomial will intersect the x-axis at least once within that interval.

3. How do I show that a polynomial has a zero in an interval?

To show that a polynomial has a zero in an interval, you can use the intermediate value theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous function f(x) has values of a and b at two different points in an interval, then f(x) must take on every value between a and b at some point within that interval.

4. Can a polynomial have more than one zero in an interval?

Yes, a polynomial can have more than one zero in an interval. This can happen when the graph of the polynomial crosses the x-axis multiple times within that interval.

5. How can I use the derivative of a polynomial to show that it has a zero in an interval?

If the derivative of a polynomial is positive at one point in an interval and negative at another point in the same interval, then by the intermediate value theorem, the polynomial must have a zero within that interval. This is because the derivative tells us the slope of the polynomial at any given point, and a change in sign of the derivative indicates a change in direction of the polynomial's graph, which must cross the x-axis at some point.