How do I solve for x in this logarithmic equation?

• Thread starter Cuisine123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, to solve for x in a logarithmic equation, you can use the inverse property of logarithms and basic algebraic techniques. The first step in solving a logarithmic equation is to simplify it, and you can use a calculator to find the value of x. To check the solution, you can plug it back into the original equation or graph both sides. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions and not simplifying the equation before solving.
Cuisine123

Homework Statement

logx13-3log13x=-2

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

(log13/logx)-(3logx/log13)=-2

What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now you multiply both sides by logx and solve.

To solve for x in this logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. First, you can use the power rule of logarithms to rewrite the equation as log(x^13) - log(13x^3) = -2. Then, you can combine the logarithms using the quotient rule to get log(x^13/13x^3) = -2. Next, you can simplify the expression inside the logarithm using the power rule again to get log(x^10/13) = -2. Finally, you can rewrite the equation in exponential form to solve for x: x^10/13 = 10^-2. From there, you can solve for x by taking the 10th root of both sides and then multiplying by 13 to get x = 13^(1/10) * 10^(-1/5).

FAQ: How do I solve for x in this logarithmic equation?

1. How do I solve for x in a logarithmic equation?

To solve for x in a logarithmic equation, you can use the inverse property of logarithms. This means that if you have an equation in the form logb(x) = y, you can rewrite it as by = x. Then, you can solve for x using basic algebraic techniques.

2. What is the first step in solving a logarithmic equation?

The first step in solving a logarithmic equation is to simplify the equation as much as possible. This may involve using logarithmic properties, such as combining logarithms with the same base or using the power rule to move exponents out of the logarithm. Simplifying the equation can make it easier to solve for x.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithmic equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve logarithmic equations. Most scientific calculators have a log or ln button that can help you find the value of x in a logarithmic equation. However, it is still important to understand the principles and steps involved in solving logarithmic equations by hand.

4. How do I know if my solution to a logarithmic equation is correct?

You can check your solution to a logarithmic equation by plugging it back into the original equation and evaluating both sides. If they are equal, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the value of x that you solved for.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic equations?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithmic equations. One is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, which can occur when taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation or when raising both sides to a power. Another mistake is not simplifying the equation before solving, which can make the process more complicated than it needs to be.