How do I solve for x in trig, functions?

In summary, the problem can be reduced to solving a fourth degree polynomial equation by using trigonometric identities. However, to avoid spurious solutions, both double and half angle formulae should be used.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

4/PI = 2sin(x) - sin(2x)

Homework Equations

4/PI = 2sin(x) - sin(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do this. This is part of an integration problem for average values. I need to solve for f(c). I know the answer is 1.238, and 2.808.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can find solutions to that equation using elementary tools and the main difficulty is that you can't transform that expression to one which contain only one trigonometric function or one of the form trigonometric function expression times another trigonometric function expression equals 0, even do a closed form exists which was obtained through lots of hardly guessable substitutions, it is still too ugly and complicated. So the best thing you can use are numerical approximations which can be found in the link I referenced to.

Last edited:
You could simplify it a bit via sin(2x) is 2sin(x)cos(x0 but its still not solvable via simple algebra. A numerical solution would probably be the best like try Newton's approximation to it...

You can, at least, reduce it to solving a fourth degree polynomial equation. We can, as said above, write sin(2x)= 2 sin(x)cos(x) making the equation [itex]2sin(x)- 2sin(x)cos(x)= 4/\pi[/itex]. Now, replace cos(x) with [itex]\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}[/itex]: [itex]2sin(x)- 2sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= 4/\pi[/itex]. [itex]2sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= 2sin(x)- 4/\pi[/itex]. [itex]sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= sin(x)- 2/\pi[/itex].

Now get rid of the square root by squaring both sides: [itex]sin^2(x)(1- sin^2(x))= sin^2(x)- 4sin(x)/\pi+ 4/\pi^2[/itex]. [itex]sin^4(x)+ 4 sin(x)/\pi- 16/\pi^2= 0[/itex].

Let y= sin(x) and that becomes [itex]y^4+ (4/\pi)y- (4/\pi)^2= 0[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone for the input.

HallsofIvy said:
You can, at least, reduce it to solving a fourth degree polynomial equation. We can, as said above, write sin(2x)= 2 sin(x)cos(x) making the equation [itex]2sin(x)- 2sin(x)cos(x)= 4/\pi[/itex]. Now, replace cos(x) with [itex]\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}[/itex]: [itex]2sin(x)- 2sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= 4/\pi[/itex]. [itex]2sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= 2sin(x)- 4/\pi[/itex]. [itex]sin(x)\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= sin(x)- 2/\pi[/itex].

Now get rid of the square root by squaring both sides: [itex]sin^2(x)(1- sin^2(x))= sin^2(x)- 4sin(x)/\pi+ 4/\pi^2[/itex]. [itex]sin^4(x)+ 4 sin(x)/\pi- 16/\pi^2= 0[/itex].

Let y= sin(x) and that becomes [itex]y^4+ (4/\pi)y- (4/\pi)^2= 0[/itex].
There are three things wrong here:
  1. This is close to a complete solution. Please don't do that, Halls.
  2. This is an incorrect complete solution. There is a math error.
  3. Even after fixing the math error, this approach admits spurious solutions.

The basic idea of reducing the problem to a fourth degree polynomial is a good one. A way around the spurious solutions problem is to use both double and half angle formulae. Rather than running this to ground, I'll leave a couple of hints:
  • Use the identity [itex]1-\cos x = 1 - \cos\left(2 \frac x 2\right) = 2 \sin^2\frac x 2[/itex].
  • Use the identity [itex]\sec^4 \theta = (\sec^2\theta)^2 = (1+\tan^2\theta)^2[/itex].

FAQ: How do I solve for x in trig, functions?

1. How do I solve for x in a trigonometric function?

The first step in solving for x in a trigonometric function is to identify which trigonometric function is present in the equation. This could be sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, or cosecant. Once identified, use inverse trigonometric functions (such as arcsine, arccosine, or arctangent) to isolate x on one side of the equation. Then, use algebraic techniques to solve for x.

2. What is the difference between solving for x in a trigonometric equation and a regular algebraic equation?

The main difference between solving for x in a trigonometric equation and a regular algebraic equation is the presence of trigonometric functions and their inverses. In trigonometric equations, these functions must be taken into consideration and may require the use of special techniques, such as the unit circle or trigonometric identities. In regular algebraic equations, only basic algebraic techniques are needed to solve for x.

3. Are there any special rules or formulas for solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are several special rules and formulas that can be used to solve trigonometric equations. These include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference formulas. It is important to memorize these formulas and know when to apply them in order to successfully solve a trigonometric equation.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve for x in a trigonometric function?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x in a trigonometric function. Most scientific calculators have the inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve for x. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving trigonometric equations by hand before relying solely on a calculator.

5. What do I do if there are multiple solutions for x in a trigonometric equation?

If there are multiple solutions for x in a trigonometric equation, it is important to indicate the domain in which the solutions lie. This could be the interval [0, 2π] for radian measurements or [0°, 360°] for degree measurements. Additionally, some solutions may need to be rejected if they do not satisfy the original equation. This can be determined by plugging the solutions back into the equation and checking for equality.

Back