How do i solve the following with or without use of logs?

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 3^x = x^2 without using logarithms. The speaker has attempted to solve it by taking each side of the equation and getting the expression x^(2/x), but realizes that it cannot be solved algebraically. They mention the use of the Lambert W function and provide an example of how it can be applied to the equation. The speaker also mentions finding a numerical answer for the equation using an online calculator and mentions that there is only one real value for x.
Dell
How do i solve the following with or without use of logs?
3^x=x^2

the problem being that i have x both in my exp and in my base, what i have done is taken each side and gotten

(3^x)^(1/x)=(x^2)^(1/x)
3=x^(2/x)
3^(1/2)=(x^(2/x))^(1/2)
sqrt(3)=x^(1/x)

0.5*ln(3)=(1/x)*ln(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't solve it algebraically. It can be solved in terms of a non-elementary function called the Lambert W function. Numerically the answer is -.6860267245.

on my calculator i can get x=1.0434693552 but cannot prove it, is there no other way other than Lambert W function?

No. That's it. Numerically, which is how the Lambert W function's values are gotten anyway. And your x=1.0434693552 doesn't solve 3x = x2.

no sorry my mistake, that was for another excercise,
i looked up lambert W functions and i got this

3x=x2
(31/2)x=x
1=x/(31/2)x =====> (31/2)=a
1=x/ax
1=x*e-x*ln(a)
-ln(a)=[(-ln(a)*x)*e(-ln(a)*x)

after applying W to each side

-ln(a)*x=W(-ln(a))
x=-W(-ln(a))/(ln(a))

is this correct, and also how do i get a numerical answer for this??

Last edited:
i found an online calculator that gave me the value, which looks right, but it only gives me one value and i believe there are 2. how can i work it out?

No, there is only 1 real value.

Related to How do i solve the following with or without use of logs?

1. How do I solve an exponential equation using logs?

To solve an exponential equation using logs, use the property of logarithms that states logb(xy) = y*logb(x). Take the log of both sides of the equation and then solve for the variable.

2. What is the purpose of using logs in math?

Logs are used to solve exponential equations, convert between different forms of an equation, and simplify complex expressions.

3. Can I solve an equation without using logs?

Yes, it is possible to solve an equation without using logs. However, in some cases, using logs can simplify the process and provide a more accurate solution.

4. How do I know when to use logs to solve an equation?

You should use logs to solve an equation when the variable is in the exponent or when the equation is in exponential form. This allows you to convert the equation into a simpler form and solve for the variable.

5. Is there an alternative method to solving equations without using logs?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as graphing or using a calculator. However, these methods may not be as accurate or efficient as using logs.