What Is the Correct Method to Solve This Differential Equation?

In summary, the problem is a separable variables problem and the attempted solution using a particular solution method is not applicable. Instead, algebra should be used to separate the variables and then both sides should be integrated.
baouba

Homework Statement

y3(dy/dx) = (y4 + 1)cosx

2. The attempt at a solution

I solved for the homogeneous equation which is y = Ce-sinx Where C is some constant

for the particular solution I tried Asinx + Bcosx where A and B are constants but when subbing in it's gets very messy.

How should I do this?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a variables separable problem.

Chet

Try some algebra to separate the variables and then integrate both sides.

baouba said:

Homework Statement

y3(dy/dx) = (y4 + 1)cosx

2. The attempt at a solution

I solved for the homogeneous equation which is y = Ce-sinx Where C is some constant

for the particular solution I tried Asinx + Bcosx where A and B are constants but when subbing in it's gets very messy.

How should I do this?
You shouldn't. That method is for a linear (usually constant coefficient) DE.

Thanks for the replies, it was just a simple separation of variables problem. It's strange how you sometimes forget the basics as your knowledge grows.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a dependent variable to the value of one or more independent variables. It is used to model the behavior of systems that change over time.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find a function that satisfies the equation. There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and linear and nonlinear differential equations. Each type has its own characteristics and requires different methods for solving.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

5. Do I need to have advanced math skills to solve differential equations?

While a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to solve differential equations, you do not need to be an expert in advanced math to solve them. With practice and familiarity with different techniques, anyone can learn to solve differential equations.