1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do magnetic fields provide thermal insulation

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    some Fusion power experimental reactors use tokamaks to contain plasma using strong magnetic fields. However this plasma is at a sizzling 1M Kelvin so how is this level of thermal insulation engineered, using magnetic fields?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The magnetic field doesn't provide insulation it simply holds the electrically charged plasma away from the walls.
    Heat isn't the same as temperature, the sparks from a sparkler are at >1000 deg C but don't contain very much heat.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    The plasma is primarily ionized particles. The Lorentz force is
    F = q(E + v x B)
    where q is particle charge, v is particle velocity, and B is magnetic field. The v x B term causes the ionized particles to move in orbits perpendicular to the magnetic field, similar to ions in a cyclotron.

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    then what stops the core from melting? i'm certain plasma would be quite hot

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    What stops the core from melting is that heat doesn't transfer at a high enough rate form the plasma to the core. Convective and conductive heat require a medium for transport. I'm not sure about the magnitude of radiative heat transfer from plasma though but I would assume the walls of the reactor would have a very low emissivity.

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tokamak is a donut shape. The plasma is in a ring inside the donut in a very high vacuum it doesn't (ideally) touch the inner or outer walls.

8. Jun 18, 2009 #7
    Strong magnetic field provides physical separation of the plasma tore and TOKAMAK walls. Plasma itself at these densities and temperatures is not quite transparent for the "light" - it radiates mostly from its surface.

Bob_for_short.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook