1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do u find gradients again?

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    i need to find the gradient of the line y-3x=2 how do i do it again?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2
    Put it in the form y = mx + c and m is the gradient.

4. May 14, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the connection between the slope of the line & its gradient...?

Daniel.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    hey,

{y-displacement}/{x-displacement} = gradient displacement is how much y changes and x changes from two points.

The gradient IS the slope of the line

Regards,

Ben

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
  6. May 15, 2005 #5
    Rise over Run - is how I remember it.

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    Wait, is this gradient the same gradient as in gradient of a vector field or does it mean gradient like slope of the line?

8. May 16, 2005 #7
    Slope of line - y=mx +c

Regards,

Ben

9. May 16, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The original question was about y- 3x= 2, a real valued linear function of a single real variable. I'm afraid all that talk about "vectors" and even "derivatives" will just confuse the original poster.

Slessi: solve for y. In this example, solving for y gives y= 3x+ 2 so the gradient (slope) is 3. (Almost) any linear equation can be solved for y in the form y= mx+ b and the gradient is the number m.

(I say "(Almost)" because a vertical straight line, like x= 1, cannot be put in that form: it has NO gradient.

10. May 16, 2005 #9
    I was just staring at this statement whilst drinking tea and began to think, there is a gradient because gradient is [y-displacement]/[x-displacement] and in this case, 0/change in x. Change in x is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is 0/non-zero integer = 0. Looking at the graph, this fits, the gradient looks to be 0.

However, if the graph is of y=1 ,then the equation becomes: [change in y]/0. Change in y is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is non-zero integer/0 which is mathematically undefined. However, if one looks at the graph in a topolgical sense (Pemrose is my source on the idea of topolgy), then the gradient looks to be -infinity or +infinity. And this leads one to consider what result dividing by 0 gives.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts,

Regards,

Ben

11. May 17, 2005 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly right.
    No, that's exactly wrong. The equation in question is x= 1. x is always 1: x doesn't change, y can be anything: the equation is change in y/0.
    Where in the world did you get that idea? If x= 1 the change is 0! x= 1 means exactly that: x is always 1, not the "change" in x!
    Same error: if y= 1 then y does not chage: the slope is 0/change in x= 0.

12. May 18, 2005 #11
    Hi, I commented on x=1 instead of y=1 and visa versa - please reread the post in its now corrected form (below) and give your throughts.

I was just staring at this statement whilst drinking tea and began to think, there is a gradient because gradient is [y-displacement]/[x-displacement] and in the case of y=1, 0/change in x. Change in x is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is 0/non-zero integer = 0. Looking at the graph, this fits, the gradient looks to be 0.

However, if the graph is of x=1 ,then the equation becomes: [change in y]/0. Change in y is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is non-zero integer/0 which is mathematically undefined. However, if one looks at the graph in a topolgical sense (Pemrose is my source on the idea of topolgy), then the gradient looks to be -infinity or +infinity. And this leads one to consider what result dividing by 0 gives.

-Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?