Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do u find gradients again?

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    i need to find the gradient of the line y-3x=2 how do i do it again?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2
    Put it in the form y = mx + c and m is the gradient.

4. May 14, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the connection between the slope of the line & its gradient...?

Daniel.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    hey,

{y-displacement}/{x-displacement} = gradient displacement is how much y changes and x changes from two points.

The gradient IS the slope of the line

Regards,

Ben

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
  6. May 15, 2005 #5
    Rise over Run - is how I remember it.

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    Wait, is this gradient the same gradient as in gradient of a vector field or does it mean gradient like slope of the line?

8. May 16, 2005 #7
    Slope of line - y=mx +c

Regards,

Ben

9. May 16, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The original question was about y- 3x= 2, a real valued linear function of a single real variable. I'm afraid all that talk about "vectors" and even "derivatives" will just confuse the original poster.

Slessi: solve for y. In this example, solving for y gives y= 3x+ 2 so the gradient (slope) is 3. (Almost) any linear equation can be solved for y in the form y= mx+ b and the gradient is the number m.

(I say "(Almost)" because a vertical straight line, like x= 1, cannot be put in that form: it has NO gradient.

10. May 16, 2005 #9
    I was just staring at this statement whilst drinking tea and began to think, there is a gradient because gradient is [y-displacement]/[x-displacement] and in this case, 0/change in x. Change in x is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is 0/non-zero integer = 0. Looking at the graph, this fits, the gradient looks to be 0.

However, if the graph is of y=1 ,then the equation becomes: [change in y]/0. Change in y is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is non-zero integer/0 which is mathematically undefined. However, if one looks at the graph in a topolgical sense (Pemrose is my source on the idea of topolgy), then the gradient looks to be -infinity or +infinity. And this leads one to consider what result dividing by 0 gives.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts,

Regards,

Ben

11. May 17, 2005 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly right.
    No, that's exactly wrong. The equation in question is x= 1. x is always 1: x doesn't change, y can be anything: the equation is change in y/0.
    Where in the world did you get that idea? If x= 1 the change is 0! x= 1 means exactly that: x is always 1, not the "change" in x!
    Same error: if y= 1 then y does not chage: the slope is 0/change in x= 0.

12. May 18, 2005 #11
    Hi, I commented on x=1 instead of y=1 and visa versa - please reread the post in its now corrected form (below) and give your throughts.

I was just staring at this statement whilst drinking tea and began to think, there is a gradient because gradient is [y-displacement]/[x-displacement] and in the case of y=1, 0/change in x. Change in x is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is 0/non-zero integer = 0. Looking at the graph, this fits, the gradient looks to be 0.

However, if the graph is of x=1 ,then the equation becomes: [change in y]/0. Change in y is always a non-zero integer value and therefore the gradient is non-zero integer/0 which is mathematically undefined. However, if one looks at the graph in a topolgical sense (Pemrose is my source on the idea of topolgy), then the gradient looks to be -infinity or +infinity. And this leads one to consider what result dividing by 0 gives.

-Ben

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook