How Do We Calculate the Weight of Block C in a Frictional Force Problem?

• Thread starter Redcutter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves three blocks connected by ropes and subject to kinetic friction. The weight of each block is 27.5N and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40. The tension holding blocks A and B is 11N, and the tension holding block C is 17.59595059N. The weight of block C is calculated to be 36.3N.
Redcutter
Hello, I'm new here. I've browsed before and saw that this is a very helpful community, so I came here for assistance.

Homework Statement

Blocks A, B, and C are placed as in the figure and connected by ropes of negligible mass. Both A and B weigh 27.5N each, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.40. Block C descends with constant velocity.

Image attached:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1038585/38/YF-05-56.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the weight of block C?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the first part of this problem, which is the tension holding A and B, which is 11N. Part C has me confused. Here's my attempt:
Block B

∑FY=
NB-mBgsin(36.9)=0
NB=27.5Nsin(36.9) = 16.5115562

fK= µNB = .40(16.5115562)= 6.604622479∑Fx=
T2-T1-fK- 27.5cos(36.9)= 0

T2-T1-6.604622479- 21.99132811= 0

T1= 11N

T2-11-6.604622479- 21.99132811= 0

T2= 17.59595059N.

Block C

∑Fx= T2-mCg = 0
T2 = mCg = 17.59595059N

Is this correct?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the system is not accelerating, [itex]\sum[/itex]F=0.

F1=.4*mg=.4*27.5N

F2=.4*mg*sin(36.9 degrees) = .4*27.5*sin(36.9) N

therefore

F1 + F2 = mg (m = mass of block 3)

.4*27.5(1+sin(36.9)) = mg (the weight of block 3)

O M = opposite to the movement

Block a:
F in a = F friction in a = N.u = 27,5u O M

Block b:

F in b = Pb sin36,9° and Pb cos36,9°u O M = 27,5.3/5 and 27,5.4/5.u

F friction = 27,5 . 3,6/5 > 27,5.3/5 so they have same direction

27,5.6,6/5 = C = 5,5.6,6 = 36,3N

Thanks, guys.

Hello and welcome to the community! It's great to hear that you have found this community helpful.

In regards to your question, your solution for part C appears to be correct. However, I would like to suggest a couple of things to consider in your approach.

Firstly, when finding the weight of block C, you could also use the equation ∑Fy = NC - mCg = 0, since block C is at a constant velocity and therefore the net force in the y-direction is zero. This would give you the same result of NC = mCg = 17.59595059N.

Secondly, in your solution for block B, you have correctly found the tension in the rope holding block A and B to be 11N. However, in your calculation for the friction force, you have used the weight of block B instead of the weight of block A. This would give you a slightly different value for the friction force. It may be a small difference, but it's always good to double check your calculations.

Overall, your solution is correct and shows a good understanding of the concepts of frictional forces and equilibrium. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do We Calculate the Weight of Block C in a Frictional Force Problem?

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that create resistance to motion.

2. What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

3. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can slow down or stop an object's motion. It also plays a role in creating traction, allowing objects to grip surfaces and move without slipping.

4. Can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, or reducing the force pressing the surfaces together. However, it cannot be completely eliminated.

5. How is frictional force beneficial?

Frictional force is beneficial in many ways, such as allowing us to walk and grip objects, helping vehicles slow down and stop, and creating heat through friction, which is used in various industrial processes.