How Do You Calculate Angular Momentum for Different Pivot Points?

• Thread starter AriAstronomer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular momentum of a system consisting of a particle attached to a meter stick rotating on a frictionless table. Two different methods are used to calculate the angular momentum when the stick is pivoted about two different axes. The first method, L = Iω, yields the correct answer, while the second method, L = rxp, requires breaking down the object into mass elements and summing them. It is also mentioned that L = Iω only works for an axis passing through the centre of rotation or the centre of mass.
AriAstronomer

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass of 0.400 kg is attached to the
100-cm mark of a meter stick with a mass of 0.100 kg. The
meter stick rotates on a horizontal, frictionless table
with an angular speed of 4.00 rad/s. Calculate the angu-
lar momentum of the system when the stick is pivoted
about an axis (a) perpendicular to the table through
the 50.0-cm mark and (b) perpendicular to the table
through the 0-cm mark.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only need help with part a): Basically, I know I can get the right answer using L = Iw:
L = (I_rod + I_mass)w = (1/12ML^2 + MR^2)w = .433 = correct.
If however, I use the other definition L = rxp:
L = rxp_rod + rxp_mass = rMwr_rod + mwr^2 = 0.5 = incorrect. What am I missing? Seems like it's in the rod term. I guess r implies radius, and would work if it was a disk perhaps? Should I always go with the L = Iw definition if working with non radial objects?

Thanks,
Ari

Physics news on Phys.org
L = rxp is easy to use when the object associated with the momentum p is a point mass. When it's some extended shape then you have to break it down into mass elements (dm) each with its own bit of momentum (dp) over all of the object, and apply L = r x dp to all of them, summing as you go. Yes, it's an integral :wink:

Hi Ari! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
AriAstronomer said:
If however, I use the other definition L = rxp:
L = rxp_rod + rxp_mass = rMwr_rod + mwr2 = 0.5 = incorrect. What am I missing? Seems like it's in the rod term. I guess r implies radius, and would work if it was a disk perhaps? Should I always go with the L = Iw definition if working with non radial objects?

Yes, you're right, it is the rod term. :smile:

L = r x p will always work for a point mass, but you need to use https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" for anything else.

So you can use r x p for the mass in either case, and add it to the Iω for the rod, or you can use Iω for the rod-plus-mass.

btw, L = Iω only works for an axis through the centre of rotation (as in boht these cases) or the centre of mass …

for any other point, you need L = Ic.o.m.ω + r x mvc.o.m. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Momentum for Different Pivot Points?

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion in a system. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object as well as its distance from a fixed point of rotation.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates). This can be represented by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass in an object, as well as its distance from the center of rotation. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve a given angular acceleration.

4. How is Moment of Inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass can be calculated using the equation I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by breaking the object into smaller parts and using the equation I = ∑mr^2, where ∑m represents the sum of the masses of all the smaller parts.

5. What are some real-world applications of Angular Momentum and Moment of Inertia?

Angular momentum and moment of inertia have many practical applications, including in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure stability and control during rotational motion. They are also important in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where rotational motion is a key component. In addition, these concepts are used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and galaxies, to understand their movements and behavior.