Angular Momentum: Problem w/Calculating MoI at 100cm

In summary, when calculating the angular momentum of a system, the moment of inertia must be calculated using the radius of the object from the axis of rotation. In this case, the radius is 0.5 m because the meter stick is rotating about the 50 cm mark, and not the end of the stick. This is consistent with the answers found online and in the book.
EngrStud
I need some clarification on a homework problem related to angular momentum. I understand how to calculate the angular momentum by using L= IW but when calculating the moment of intertia for the particle i don't understand why to use .5m as the radius instead of .4m due to being placed at the 100 cm mark. From all the answers I've seen online and in the back of the book, the answer is calculated using .5m as the radius.

1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass 0.400 kg is attached to the 100-cm
mark of a meterstick of mass 0.100 kg. The meterstick
rotates on the surface of a frictionless, horizontal
table with an angular speed of 4.00 rad/s. Calculate
the angular momentum of the system when the stick
is pivoted about an axis

(a) perpendicular to the table
through the 50.0-cm mark and

(b) perpendicular to
the table through the 0-cm mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
EngrStud said:
I need some clarification on a homework problem related to angular momentum. I understand how to calculate the angular momentum by using L= IW but when calculating the moment of intertia for the particle i don't understand why to use .5m as the radius instead of .4m due to being placed at the 100 cm mark. From all the answers I've seen online and in the back of the book, the answer is calculated using .5m as the radius.

1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass 0.400 kg is attached to the 100-cm
mark of a meterstick of mass 0.100 kg. The meterstick
rotates on the surface of a frictionless, horizontal
table with an angular speed of 4.00 rad/s. Calculate
the angular momentum of the system when the stick
is pivoted about an axis

(a) perpendicular to the table
through the 50.0-cm mark and

(b) perpendicular to
the table through the 0-cm mark.

Where comes 0.4 m as radius come from? The meter stick is 100 cm long, and rotates about the axis going through its middle.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, calculated by integrating the mass of each particle in the object with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is there a problem with calculating moment of inertia at 100cm?

At 100cm, the distance from the axis of rotation is quite large, making it difficult to accurately measure the mass of each particle in the object. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the object's rotational motion at this distance.

4. How can we overcome this problem when calculating moment of inertia at 100cm?

One solution is to use more precise measuring tools and techniques to accurately determine the mass of each particle in the object. Additionally, reducing external factors such as air resistance and friction can also improve the accuracy of the calculation.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum and moment of inertia?

Angular momentum and moment of inertia are important concepts in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to understand the motion of rotating objects such as planets, satellites, and spinning tops. They also play a crucial role in the design and stability of structures such as bridges and skyscrapers.