How Do You Calculate Charge in a Polarized Molecule?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a polarized molecule with effective charge separation and a constant electric field inside a cell. The goal is to find the tension or force acting on the molecule. The student is unsure of how to determine the value of q (charge) for the problem and is seeking help. The professor mentions that the effective charge for a polarized molecule is equal to an electron on one end and a proton on the other, but the student is unsure if this is the only value for q to be used. Further discussion revolves around trying to use this single charge value to solve the problem.
asc6429
Okay, since this is just a very small portion of my homework question, I'm not going to use the format provided. I hope this doesn't get deleted!

At first, I thought i could just use q in the final answer since I don't know what q is, but what I have is:

A polarized molecule with electrons on the left and protons on the left. It has an effective charge separation of 5nm, and the net force on the molecule is 0.

How do I find the q (charge) for this problem? What do I need to know/how do I do it?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Andreana

Physics news on Phys.org
asc6429 said:
Okay, since this is just a very small portion of my homework question, I'm not going to use the format provided. I hope this doesn't get deleted!

At first, I thought i could just use q in the final answer since I don't know what q is, but what I have is:

A polarized molecule with electrons on the left and protons on the left. It has an effective charge separation of 5nm, and the net force on the molecule is 0.

How do I find the q (charge) for this problem? What do I need to know/how do I do it?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Andreana

Welcome to the PF. Could you please state the problem as it is given to you? There is not enough information in your post to understand what the problem is asking. Also, there is a left-left typo in your post; you probably meant left-right separation, correct?

Ok, here is the problem in its entirety (it's long): The article we read discusses the use of electric fields in treating cancer. Because cancer cells split apart fast than other cells, electric fields are able to apply that field to the cells and reduce the time it takes for them to split. That's the summary...
it can be found at this link http://www.rife.de/files/electric_fields_as_cancer_treatment.pdf

My question is stated:

The article discusses the use of alternating 1-2 V/cm electric fields as a cancer treatment. Consider a constant, uniform electric field of 2 V/cm inside a cell. Imagine a polarized molecule with effective charge separation 5nm. You should note that the net force on the molecule is 0, although the molecule is under tension. Find the tension (force) in Newtons that acts to stretch the molecule. Note that a volt, V, is Nm/C)​

The diagram shows the electrons on the left, and protons on the right (sorry if I messed that up earleir).

What I did so far:

for the LHS:
qE - (kq2/r2)

for RHS:
(kq2/r2) - qE

Total:
2*(qE - (kq2/r2)

and I have all information except q.

Any ideas?

Hmm. The article talks about forces up to 60pN, but I'm with you so far -- not sure how to come up with a value for q.

When I asked my professor, all he said was:

"A polarized molecule has an effective charge equal to an electron on one end and a proton on the other."

But he made it sound in class like it would not just be the normal value for q.
I AM LOST!

Hmm. Well, it's at least worth a try using just a single electron/proton charge value. If you use that, how close to the 60pN number do you get?

Related to How Do You Calculate Charge in a Polarized Molecule?

What is a polarized atom?

A polarized atom is an atom in which the distribution of electrons around the nucleus is uneven, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges within the atom.

How does an atom become polarized?

An atom can become polarized when it interacts with an electric field or another atom with a different electronegativity. This causes the electrons to shift towards one side of the atom, creating a temporary dipole moment.

What is the significance of polarized atoms?

Polarized atoms play a crucial role in many chemical reactions, as the separation of charges allows for stronger interactions between atoms. They are also important in fields such as material science and electronics.

How is the polarization of an atom measured?

The polarization of an atom is measured by its dipole moment, which is the product of the distance between the charges and the magnitude of the charges. This can be measured using techniques such as spectroscopy or X-ray crystallography.

Can an atom be permanently polarized?

Yes, some atoms can be permanently polarized, such as those found in polar molecules. However, most atoms will return to their unpolarized state once the external electric field or interaction is removed.