Is the Total Charge of Polarization in a Non-Homogeneous Dielectric Zero?

In summary, the electric field is zero, the electrical potential is zero, the volume density of polarization charge is zero, and the surface density of polarization charge is also zero.
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite environment with electrical permittivity non-homogeneous $$\epsilon=\epsilon_0(1+a/r)$$ a being a positive constant. A conducting sphere of radius R and charge Q is put on that environment, centered at r=0. Determine the electric field $$E$$, the electrical potential $$V$$, the volume density of polarization charge $$\rho'$$ and the surface density of polarization charge $$\sigma'$$. Prove that the total charge of polarization in the dielectric is zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm having a lot of trouble with the last part of the question.
I got for the the volume density of polarization charge $\rho'$ and the surface density of polarization charge $$\sigma'$$:

$$\rho'= \frac{Qa}{4\pi r^2(r+a)^2}$$
for $$r>R$$

$$\sigma'= \frac{-Qa}{4\pi R^2(R+a)}$$
for $$r=R$$

Now I now that the total charge will be the sum of the total charge in surface with the total charge in volume. Total charge in surface is easy.
$$Q'_{surface}=4\pi R^2\sigma'= \frac{-Qa}{(R+a)}$$

However I'm not quite sure on how to compute the total volume density. I thought it might be an integral from R to infinity of

$$\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \frac{Qa}{4 \pi r^2 (r+a)^2}=\frac{Qar}{3(r+a)^2}$$

but the integral of that expression on those boundaries diverge.
What should I do then?
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot multiply the density by the volume the way you did to get a "charge" at r and then evaluate as r goes to ∞. You need to consider a shell that has charge dq = ρ(r) dV, then integrate. What's dV for a shell of radius r and thickness dr?

Oh! The volume of the shell is $$dV=4\pi r^2 dr$$. This way I get to the total charge equaling zero. Thank you very much!

1. What is total charge dielectric?

Total charge dielectric is a term used in physics to describe the amount of electric charge that is stored in a material when an electric field is applied to it. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of materials in electric fields.

2. How is total charge dielectric calculated?

Total charge dielectric is calculated by multiplying the permittivity of the material by the electric field strength. The permittivity is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an electric field, and the electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of the electric field.

3. What is the difference between total charge dielectric and net charge?

Total charge dielectric refers to the overall amount of charge stored in a material when an electric field is applied, regardless of its direction. Net charge, on the other hand, refers to the difference between the positive and negative charges within a material. In some cases, the net charge may be zero even though there is a non-zero total charge dielectric.

4. What is the significance of total charge dielectric in practical applications?

Total charge dielectric is an important factor in determining the capacitance of a material, which is a measure of its ability to store electric charge. It is also crucial in the design of electronic devices, as it affects how materials behave in electric fields and can impact the overall performance of the device.

5. How does temperature affect total charge dielectric?

The permittivity of a material, which is a key component in calculating total charge dielectric, is temperature-dependent. This means that as the temperature changes, the total charge dielectric of a material may also change. In some cases, the change in total charge dielectric with temperature can be significant and must be taken into account in practical applications.