How Do You Calculate Different Combinations for Committee Selections?

It should be: 70C1 x 69C1 x 68C1 x 67C1 x 66C1In summary, the number of possible samples from a class of 70 students to form a committee of 5 members is 70C5. However, if the committee members all have different roles, the number of possible samples is 70C1 x 69C1 x 68C1 x 67C1 x 66C1.
SUXinPHY

Homework Statement

We need to select 5 committee members form a class of 70 students.
  • How many possible samples exists?
  • How many possible samples exists if the committee members all have different roles?

Homework Equations

nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to solve the first part.
"How many possible samples exists?" = 70C5

But I am unsure of the second.
Would it simply be:
70C1 x 69C1 x 68C1 x 67C1 x 66C1 x 65C1

Physics news on Phys.org
Second part is very close. I think you understand it but made a mistake when writing it down.

Likes 1 person
jz92wjaz said:
Second part is very close. I think you understand it but made a mistake when writing it down.

My mistake, 65C1 should not be there.

Related to How Do You Calculate Different Combinations for Committee Selections?

1. What is a combination?

A combination is a selection of items from a larger set without any regard to the order in which the items are chosen. For example, choosing 3 toppings on a pizza from a list of 10 toppings would be considered a combination.

2. How is a combination different from a permutation?

A combination does not consider the order of the items chosen, while a permutation does. For example, if we take the same pizza topping scenario, choosing pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives in that specific order would be a permutation, while choosing those same toppings in any order would be a combination.

3. How many combinations are possible?

The number of combinations depends on the number of items in the set and the number of items being chosen. The formula to calculate the number of combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen.

4. Can repetitions occur in a combination?

In a combination, each item can only be chosen once. Repetitions do not occur in a combination. For example, if we have a deck of cards and choose 5 cards, each card can only be chosen once, making it a combination.

5. Where are combinations used in real life?

Combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. In real life, combinations are used in scenarios where order does not matter, such as selecting a jury panel, assembling a team, or choosing a lottery ticket. They are also used in probability calculations and in coding algorithms.