How Do You Calculate Forces in a Two-Mass System on an Accelerating Scale-Pan?

In summary, when a light scale pan is attached to a vertical inextensible string and carries two masses, the tension in the string can be found using the equation F=ma. The force exerted on mass B by mass A can be determined by recognizing that A is accelerating upward at a rate of 0.5 m/s² and using Newton's third law of action-reaction. The force exerted on mass B by the scale-pan can be found by taking into account the weight of mass A as well as the upward acceleration.
bubakazouba

Homework Statement

a light scale pan is attatched to a vertical inextensible sring. The scale-pan carries two masses A and B. The mass of A is 400g and the mass of B is 600g. A rests on top of B, as shown in the diagram.
The scale-pan is raised verticaly, using the string with acceleration 0.5 m/s².
a)find the tension in the string.
b)find the force exerted on mass B by mass A
c)find the force exerted on mass B by the scale-pan.

visual representation of the problem http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj597/bubakazouba/test_zps62ac1992.png

Homework Equations

F=ma
g=9.8 m/s²

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a) correct, I just said
Tension-(0.4x9.8 +0.6x9.8)=0.4x0.5+0.6x0.5
Tension-9.8=0.5
tension =9.8+0.5=10.3N
--------------------
I think the answer is mg its the weight, because its the only downward force on A so it should be 0.4x9.8=3.92, but its not right.
What am i missing here?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bubakazouba! :smile:
bubakazouba said:
I think the answer is mg its the weight, because its the only downward force on A so it should be 0.4x9.8=3.92 …

what about the acceleration? :wink:

what about it?

bubakazouba said:
what about it?

you haven't used it

why should I use it?

bubakazouba said:
why should I use it?

i] it's in the question

ii] F = ma :wink:

I don't get it why should I use any equation, isn't it obvious the only force that acts on B is the weight, mg

that's the LHS of the equation

what about the RHS?​

what equation?

I feel so stupid right now :'(

Draw a free body diagram on A, showing the forces acting on it. Write a force balance on A, recognizing that A is accelerating upward at a rate of 0.5 m/s2.

ok I got a force 4.12N upwards what does that mean?

bubakazouba said:
ok I got a force 4.12N upwards what does that mean?
That's the contact force exerted by mass B on mass A. Now, from Newton's third law of action-reaction, what is the contact force that mass A exerts on mass B?

4.12?
but why, why isn't it the weight?

4.12?

bubakazouba said:
4.12?

Because mass A is accelerating upward, and so mass B has to exert enough upward contact force not only to support the weight of mass A (which would be the case if A were in equilibrium), but also to accelerate it. Also, by Newton's third law, the contact force A exerts on B is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the contact force B exerts on A.

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces in a Two-Mass System on an Accelerating Scale-Pan?

What is the mechanics lift problem?

The mechanics lift problem is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the force needed to lift an object using a lever. It is based on the principles of mechanics and is often used to introduce students to basic concepts such as torque, equilibrium, and mechanical advantage.

What are the key factors that affect the mechanics lift problem?

The key factors that affect the mechanics lift problem are the distance between the fulcrum and the applied force (called the effort arm), the distance between the fulcrum and the weight being lifted (called the resistance arm), and the weight of the object being lifted. These factors determine the amount of force needed to lift the object and the mechanical advantage of the lever system.

How do you calculate the force needed to lift an object using a lever?

The force needed to lift an object using a lever can be calculated using the following formula: Force = (Weight x Resistance Arm) / Effort Arm. This formula takes into account the weight of the object, the length of the resistance arm, and the length of the effort arm. By manipulating these variables, you can determine the minimum amount of force needed to lift the object.

What is mechanical advantage and how does it relate to the mechanics lift problem?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of how much a machine amplifies the input force. In the case of the mechanics lift problem, the mechanical advantage is determined by the ratio of the length of the effort arm to the length of the resistance arm. The greater the mechanical advantage, the less force is needed to lift an object.

How does the position of the fulcrum affect the mechanics lift problem?

The position of the fulcrum plays a crucial role in the mechanics lift problem. Moving the fulcrum closer to the weight being lifted increases the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift the object. However, moving the fulcrum too close to the weight can also result in an unstable lever system. Therefore, the placement of the fulcrum must be carefully considered when solving the mechanics lift problem.