1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do you Calculate how many x rays are coming off a fusion reaction?

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how much energy is being released in a nuclear fusion reaction from x rays. I think it will have to do with how much deuterium is in the vacuum chamber, how many volts I am using and the amount of resistance of the mesh the electricity is running through. I do not know though, can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you have a specific setup in mind, please tell us which. Otherwise it is pure guesswork.
    And even then, I think you need some proper simulation.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    Ok, sorry about being so vague, if i had a small scale fusion reactor in my garage, and I was using x amount of voltage, y amount of deuterium reacting, is there a way to calculate how much x ray radiation is being produced by the nuclear reaction?

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Same as above.
    I am sure it is possible to get a value, but without details it is impossible to say more.

Please do not try to build such a thing, if you have no idea how to evaluate and care about the risks.

6. Sep 25, 2012 #5
    Ok well right now this is all strictly theoretical, but then what exactly would i need to know to be able to calculate the amount of x ray radiation is coming off of a reaction?

7. Sep 25, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

You would need some model about your setup, about fusion processes, material distribution and heat dissipation. And if you stay so vague, the answers will stay vague as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook