How Do You Calculate Hydrogen Ionization Using a Metagalactic Radiation Field?

• Thread starter astrofunk21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionization
In summary, the project involves using a metagalactic ionizing radiation field value (Gamma) to find the ionization of Hydrogen as a function of density. This can be calculated using a density formula and assuming a fixed radiative ionization rate per neutral H. The resulting equation will have terms proportional to 1-nHI/n, representing the neutral fraction and the density of hydrogen nuclei. Clarification can be requested for further understanding.
astrofunk21
Hey guys, so I'm working on a project and was given some slightly vague instructions. I am supposed to be using a metagalactic ionizing radiation field value (Gamma) to find the ionization of Hydrogen as a function of density.

I'm coming to you guys with a vague description because I'm hoping someone will have a sense of what is being looked for. I'm confused if I'm trying to find a rate of ionization, or a shear number of ionized particles?

What I have that may be of use is the following density formula:

n=ΓHI/α (1 - nHI/n)-2 nHI/n

Once again, sorry if this is all vague. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To add onto this, the metagalactic ionizing radiation field should be taken as sort of an O-type star in the case of a Stromgren Sphere.

Also I'm pretty sure the ionization of H means the mass fraction of ionized gas...right?

It looks like you are supposed to assume there is a fixed radiative ionization rate, per neutral H, which will be proportional to the radiation field, which is proportional to Gamma. You assume the rate of radiative recombination equals the rate of radiative ionization, and use that to get the ionized fraction. If you do all this per volume, it means you consider a cubic meter or some such thing, and equate the neutral hydrogens times Gamma to the ionized hydrogens times the electron density (since the radiative recombination rate is proportional to electron density). When you realize that the electrons come from the ionized hydrogens, you realize that both of those last two things are proportional to 1-nHI/n, so that's where those terms come from in that equation. Solve for nHI, the neutral fraction, as a function of n, the density of hydrogen nuclei.

Related to How Do You Calculate Hydrogen Ionization Using a Metagalactic Radiation Field?

1. What is ionization?

Ionization is the process of converting an atom or molecule into an ion by adding or removing one or more electrons. This results in the formation of a positively or negatively charged particle, known as an ion.

2. How is the ionization of H measured?

The ionization of H is typically measured by determining the amount of energy required to remove an electron from a neutral hydrogen atom. This is known as the ionization energy, and it is typically measured in electron volts (eV).

3. Why is the ionization of H important?

The ionization of H is important because it allows us to understand the chemical and physical properties of hydrogen. It is also used in a wide range of applications, including atomic and molecular physics, astrophysics, and plasma physics.

4. What factors affect the ionization of H?

The ionization of H is affected by several factors, including the atomic structure of hydrogen, the presence of other atoms or molecules, and the energy of the incoming particles. Temperature and pressure can also play a role in the ionization process.

5. How is the ionization of H used in research?

The ionization of H is used in a variety of research areas, including spectroscopy, laser physics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of chemical reactions and in the development of new technologies, such as fuel cells and hydrogen-powered vehicles.