How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity for Vertical Motion?

In summary, the ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial velocity of -49 m/s and returns to its point of release after 10 seconds. The displacement y, acceleration a, and elapsed time t are related by the equation v0=(y-.5at^2)/t. However, the acceleration due to gravity is a_y = -g = -9.80 m/s^2, which is why the initial velocity is negative.
Joules23
Problem:
A ball is thrown vertically upward, which is the positive direction. A little while later it returns to its point of release. The ball is in the air for a total time of 10 s. Note: Near the Earth's surface, g is approximately 9.80 m /s2.

(a1) What is the algebraic expression for the initial velocity v0 of the ball? Express your answer in terms of the ball's displacement y, its acceleration a in the vertical direction, and the elapsed time t.

---------
is this correct?:
Equation:
v0=(y-.5at^2)/t

v0=(0-490)/10
v0=(-490)/10
v0=-49

Physics news on Phys.org
"A ball is thrown vertically uwpard which is the positive direction"

And you get -49, which since its negative, is the down direction. Will a ball thrown towards the ground last 10 seconds in the air? Only if you throw it from the roof of a tall building.

You seem to have used the formula y=ut+0.5a(t^2), transposed it and obtained u=(y/t)-0.5at, so as long as you have your positive and negative directions right you've done it right, i think.

one thing to think about, if the positive direction is upwards, how could the ball travel up when it has a negative initial velocity?

The vertical 'throw' equation for the y-direction is [tex]y(t)\vec{j}=v_{0}t\vec{j}-0.5gt^2\vec{j}[/tex], which is equal to y(t) = v0*t - 0.5*g*t^2. Actually, I don't see any problems with the directions; the initial velocity v0 is 'positive', and gravitiy is acting in the 'negative' direction all the time. I don't see how you got a negative velocity from your equation. v0 equals 49 [m/s].

So my answer is correct? just instead of negative its positive?
i got negative because, the displacement is 0,
v0=(y-.5at^2)/t
v0=(0-.5(9.8)(10^2))/10
v0=(0-490)/10
v0=-490/10
v0=-49

However when i use the equation radou gives, i get the positive 49... so i think its just the equation i used... Thanks guys!

Joules23 said:
So my answer is correct? just instead of negative its positive?
i got negative because, the displacement is 0,
v0=(y-.5at^2)/t
v0=(0-.5(9.8)(10^2))/10
v0=(0-490)/10
v0=-490/10
v0=-49

However when i use the equation radou gives, i get the positive 49... so i think its just the equation i used... Thanks guys!
Your equation is correct, it's just that the acceleration due to gravity is [itex] a_y = -g = -9.80 m/s^2 [/itex]. (assuming the positive y-axis pointing upward). You used a=+g which is the problem.

Hope this helps

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity for Vertical Motion?

1. What is the equation for initial velocity?

The equation for initial velocity (u) is u = (v - at), where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How is the initial velocity calculated?

The initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement (Δs) by the change in time (Δt): u = Δs/Δt.

3. Can the equation for initial velocity be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the equation u = (v - at) can be used for any type of motion, as long as there is a constant acceleration present.

4. What is the difference between initial velocity and final velocity?

Initial velocity (u) refers to the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity (v) refers to the velocity of the object at the end of its motion.

5. Is initial velocity the same as average velocity?

No, initial velocity and average velocity are not the same. Initial velocity refers to the velocity at the start of motion, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken.