How Do You Calculate Slope and Deflection in a Triangular Load Beam?

In summary, slope and deflection of a beam refers to the amount of bending and twisting that occurs in a beam under a certain load. It is a crucial factor in determining the strength and stability of a structure. The slope of a beam is a measure of the angle of deflection at a specific point, while deflection is the distance of displacement from its original position. Factors such as beam material, shape, and support conditions all play a role in determining the slope and deflection of a beam. Engineers and architects must carefully consider these factors when designing structures to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and maintain structural integrity.
member 392791

For this problem, I think that something is wrong with my moment equation, I am not sue how to find the loading as a function of x for this triangle shape.

Do I need to account for the sections 0 < x < L/2 and L/2 < x < L??

Attachments

• 15.10.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 15.10 attempt 1.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 231
Physics news on Phys.org
It's best to split this single load into 2 triangular loads imposed back-to-back.

I think you should also construct the shear diagram. It can help with getting the moment diagram correctly.

Related to How Do You Calculate Slope and Deflection in a Triangular Load Beam?

What is slope and deflection of beam?

Slope and deflection of beam refers to the amount of bending or curvature that a beam experiences under a given load. It is an important concept in structural engineering and is used to determine the stability and strength of a beam.

What factors affect the slope and deflection of a beam?

The slope and deflection of a beam are affected by several factors, including the type of material used for the beam, the shape and size of the beam, the type and magnitude of the load applied, and the support conditions of the beam.

How is the slope and deflection of a beam calculated?

The slope and deflection of a beam can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. These calculations take into account the factors that affect the beam's behavior and can help engineers design beams that can withstand the expected loads.

Why is it important to understand the slope and deflection of a beam?

Understanding the slope and deflection of a beam is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. By calculating and analyzing the slope and deflection, engineers can determine if a beam is strong enough to support the expected loads or if modifications need to be made to the design.

What are the practical applications of slope and deflection of beams?

The knowledge of slope and deflection of beams is used in a variety of engineering fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It is essential for designing and constructing bridges, buildings, and other structures that can withstand different types of loads and forces. It is also used in the design of mechanical components and machines to ensure their stability and functionality.