How Do You Calculate the Constant C in a Cylindrical Wire's Current Density?

In summary, to find the constant C in terms of I and a for a long, solid, conducting cylindrical wire carrying a current I and with current density J(r) = Cr, one needs to integrate along the radius from zero to a using the formula I = \int\limits_A \vec{\jmath} \cdot d\vec{A}, where dA = 2\pi r dr, and then solve for C in the equation C = I/(2\pi a^3/3). The area vector and the dot product are important concepts to understand in this problem.
Hank_Rearden

Homework Statement

A long, solid, conducting cylindrical wire of radius a has a current density J(r) = Cr and
carries a total current I

find a value for the constant C in terms of I and a

Homework Equations

J = I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that I need to integrate along the radius, r, from zero to a, but doing so always yields C = 4*I/(pi)*a^4, which is incorrect. But I'm also unsure as to why an integral is even necessary

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show your steps?
You'll want to use [tex]I = \int\limits_A \vec{\jmath} \cdot d\vec{A}[/tex] for this. Think carefully about what dA is...

Last edited:
Hank_Rearden said:
yields C = 4*I/(pi)*a^4

Do you mean 4*I/(pi * a^4) ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean 4*I/(pi * a^4) ?

That's still not the answer.

Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just still getting the hang of using PF's symbols

Hank_Rearden said:
Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just still getting the hang of using PF's symbols

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using [tex]\pi[/tex]*r[tex]^{2}[/tex] dr as my dA

Hank_Rearden said:
I've been using [tex]\pi[/tex]*r[tex]^{2}[/tex] dr as my dA

The problem there is that [itex]\pi r^2[/itex] is the total area as a function of r. (I.e., [itex]A(r) = \pi r^2[/itex].)

What you want is the infinitesimal area [itex]dA[/itex], which you can get by taking [tex]\frac{dA}{dr}[/tex] and then multiplying through by [itex]dr[/itex].

but where is the expression dA/dR coming from?

You're trying to take the current density through some area. For any given radius your current density will change, meaning you don't have a constant dot product (meaning you can't use pi*r^2 as the area).

You need to figure out the area element through which the current passes. HINT: Cylindrical wire leads to cylindrical symmetry, also current is moving axially.

Should be [tex]\frac{2\pi c a^3}{3}[/tex]

Hank_Rearden said:
but where is the expression dA/dR coming from?

dA/dr is the derivative w.r.t. r of [itex]A=\pi r^2[/itex].

We can get the infinitesimal area this way:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
A &= \pi r^2 \\
\frac{dA}{dr} &= 2\pi r \\
dr \frac{dA}{dr} &= 2\pi r dr \\
dA &= 2\pi r dr
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now, what do you think you should do next?

Integrate from 0 to a, (C*r)*(2*pi*r) dr?

Right. Here's the integral (you can click on it to see the LaTeX) [tex]I = \int_0^a Cr \cdot 2\pi r dr = 2\pi C\int_0^a r^2dr[/tex]

Now, one thing I want to point out is that the current is the integral of the dot product of the current density vector and the infinitesimal area.

In this problem, they are parallel, which means that [itex]\mathbf{j} \cdot d\mathbf{A} = j\,dA[/itex]. This won't always be the case.

Are you familiar with the area vector?

I've seen it used before, and I think I understand it as a concept, but I'm not particularly adept at using it myself

The area vector is important in cases of electric flux, Gauss's law, current, the continuity equation, etc.

Basically, if you have an area, the area vector is the unit vector that is normal to the surface of the area, pointing out.

Now, I've mentioned the dot product in [tex]\int\limits_A \mathbf{j} \cdot d\mathbf{A}[/tex] several times. This makes the integral equivalent to the integral of the current density times the cross sectional area in the direction of the current. (This is analogous to the way electric flux is defined, which you should at least be familiar with if you are discussing current.)

That makes sense, thanks

[tex]\int _{s} J\cdot \hat{n}dS = \int _{s} JdS = C\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}r^2drd\theta=\frac{2\pi C a^3}{3}[/tex]

Related to How Do You Calculate the Constant C in a Cylindrical Wire's Current Density?

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electrical current through a given area. It is represented by the symbol J and is calculated by dividing the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) through which the current is flowing. The unit of current density is amperes per square meter (A/m^2).

2. How is current density related to current?

Current density and current are directly related, as current density is a measure of the current flowing through a given area. The higher the current flowing through a given area, the higher the current density will be. This relationship is represented by the equation J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect current density?

The two main factors that affect current density are the current and the cross-sectional area. As the current increases, the current density will also increase. Similarly, as the cross-sectional area decreases, the current density will increase. Other factors that can affect current density include the material through which the current is flowing and the temperature of the material.

4. How is current density measured?

Current density is typically measured using a device called an ammeter, which is designed to measure the amount of current flowing through a circuit. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, and the current passing through it is displayed on a scale. The current density can then be calculated by dividing the current reading by the cross-sectional area of the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of current density?

Current density is an important concept in the field of electrical engineering and has many practical applications. It is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as well as in the development of electronic devices. It is also important in the study of materials, as the current density can affect the properties and behavior of different materials. Additionally, current density is used in the production and distribution of electricity, as it helps to determine the efficiency and capacity of power systems.