How Do You Calculate the Linear Acceleration and Impact Velocity of a Load?

• Thread starter brooker2009uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, one user is seeking help with a question regarding a drum and a load attached to it. They are asking for guidance on determining the linear acceleration of the load when the brake is released. Another user suggests using the equations F = ma and τ = Iα, as well as the rolling constraint a = rα, to solve the problem. The first user thanks the second user for their help and continues with the problem.
brooker2009uk

Homework Statement

was wondering if anybody here does mech engineering and if so can they point me in the right direction of this question please.

Figure 1 below shows a drum of mass of 50kg and radius 350mm. The drum can be assumed to be a uniform solid cylinder. A rope of negligible mass is wrapped around the drum and is attached to a load of 15kg which is held 2.4m above the ground initially. Determine:
• the linear acceleration of the 15kg load when the brake preventing the drum from rotating is released and
• the velocity with which the 15kg load will impact the ground with.

(Assume the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2.)

drum-1.png

Homework Equations

q = qo + wo t + (1/2)a t2
w2 = wo
2 + 2 a q

to start, i am not looking the answer and i just want someone to please show me how to get the linear acceleration

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi brooker2009uk! welcome to pf! :smile:

(btw, this is a fairly standard dynamics problem also, so you'll get answered sooner if you post future questions like this in the physics homework forum :wink:)

you'll need F = ma for the load, and τ = Iα for the drum …

(and also the rolling constraint, a = rα)

call the tension "T" …

what do you get? :smile:

thank you, that is getting the torque but i need an equation to get the linear acceleration of the load when the brake is released

brooker2009uk said:
thank you, that is getting the torque but i need an equation to get the linear acceleration of the load when the brake is released

yes, that's F = ma !

get on with it! :smile:

I am not able to provide specific solutions to homework questions. However, I can guide you in the right direction and provide some general information that may help you solve this problem.

First, it is important to understand the concept of torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate. In this case, the torque is being applied by the rope wrapped around the drum. The amount of torque applied depends on the force applied by the rope and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation (in this case, the center of the drum).

Next, you will need to apply Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the torque applied by the rope, and the acceleration is the linear acceleration of the load.

To determine the linear acceleration, you will need to use the equation for torque (T = F x r) and equate it to the net force (F = ma). This will allow you to solve for the linear acceleration.

Once you have determined the linear acceleration, you can use the equations provided (q = qo + wo t + (1/2)a t2 and w2 = wo2 + 2 a q) to calculate the velocity of the load when it impacts the ground. Remember to include the acceleration due to gravity in your calculations.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. Remember to always show your work and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Linear Acceleration and Impact Velocity of a Load?

What is Mechanical Engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This includes machines, engines, tools, and other mechanical devices.

What skills are required for a career in Mechanical Engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in Mechanical Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and strong mathematical and technical abilities. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

What industries employ Mechanical Engineers?

Mechanical engineers are employed in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, energy, and construction. They are also needed in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

What education is needed to become a Mechanical Engineer?

Most mechanical engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field, such as aerospace engineering or materials science. Some positions may require a master's degree or a Ph.D. for more advanced research or teaching roles.

What are some common job titles for Mechanical Engineers?

Some common job titles for Mechanical Engineers include design engineer, project engineer, quality engineer, manufacturing engineer, and research and development engineer. There are also specialized roles, such as automotive engineer, aerospace engineer, and HVAC engineer.