How do you calculate the probability of a type II error?

In summary, there are two types of errors in inferential statistics: Type I and Type II. Type I errors occur when the null hypothesis is rejected when it is actually true. Type II errors occur when the null hypothesis is accepted when it is actually false. These errors can be compared to a criminal court case, where convicting an innocent person is a Type I error and acquitting a guilty person is a Type II error. There is a trade-off between reducing Type I and Type II errors, and it is important to find a balance between the two.
IntegrateMe
I'm finding Type I and Type II very difficult to understand. We received a packet today that had a type II probability problem and i had no idea what they were explaining. Can anyone explain to me how we find the probability of a type II error?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember whether there is a way to calculate this type of probability, and I'm not sure there is a way to do so. In case you don't understand these errors, here's a refresher.

In inferential statistics you are presented with two choices, usually called the null hypothesis and the alternate hypothesis. The goal in these two problems is to use some statistical data to decide to reject the null hypothesis (and thereby accept the alternate hypothesis) or fail to reject the null hypothesis (and thereby accept it).

There are four possibilities based on what you decide:
  1. You reject the null hypothesis when it is in fact false.
  2. You fail to reject the null hypothesis when it is false.
  3. You reject the null hypothesis when it is true.
  4. You fail to reject the null hypothesis when it is true.

The 1st and 4th possibilities represent correct choices. The 2nd and 3rd represent incorrect choices.

An analogy with a criminal court case might be helpful. Consider a jury trial that aims to establish the guilt or nonguilt of a person accused of a crime. There are four possible outcomes based on a theoretical ability to see into the accused person's mind to know whether he or she actually did the crime.
These outcomes are laid out to be parallel to the four outcomes listed above, where "not guilty" corresponds to the null hypothesis. In all cases, I'm assuming we have some all-knowing power to be able to determine whether a person committed a crime or not.

1. The person is convicted, and actually committed the crime.
  2. The person is acquitted but actually did commit the crime. This is an error.
  3. The person is convicted, but did not perpetrate the crime. This also is an error.
  4. The person is acquitted, and did not perpetrate the crime.

Again, the second and third possibilities are errors. I forget which one is Type I and which is Type II.

We can eliminate errors of type #2 (in list above), by convicting everyone who comes to court, but that drastically increases type #3 errors. We have fewer criminals running around the streets, but at the cost of locking up innocent people. Likewise, we can eliminate type #3 errors by acquitting everyone who comes to court, but this increases the type #2 errors. We have fewer wrongly convicted people in jail, but at the cost of more criminals running the streets.

Hope that helps.

What is a type II error?

A type II error, also known as a false negative, occurs when a hypothesis test fails to reject a null hypothesis that is actually false.

How is the probability of a type II error calculated?

The probability of a type II error is calculated by determining the area under the curve of the alternative hypothesis distribution that falls within the critical region.

What factors affect the probability of a type II error?

The probability of a type II error is affected by the significance level, the sample size, the effect size, and the variability of the data.

Can the probability of a type II error be reduced?

Yes, the probability of a type II error can be reduced by increasing the sample size, increasing the effect size, or decreasing the variability of the data.

How is the probability of a type II error interpreted?

The probability of a type II error is interpreted as the chance of failing to reject a false null hypothesis. In other words, it is the likelihood that a significant result will not be found when it actually exists.