How do you differentiate this

In summary, the conversation is discussing the differentiation of x^2y and xy^2, using the product rule and implicit differentiation. The correct answer for x^2y was achieved after factoring out an x from the equation. The concept of implicit differentiation was also briefly mentioned.
afcwestwarrior
x^2y

the y is biglike the x its not small

and how do you differentiate this
xy^2

for the first one i used the product rule and thesecond one and i get a different answer then what i was suppost to get

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one i didthis

x^2 d/dx y dy/dx + y d/dx x^2

x^2 y' + y+ 2x

so how come I am not getting 2x 2y

:confused: You need an equation, not an expression, i.e. [tex]x^{2}y = ?[/tex]. Also, are you familiar with implicit differentiation?

Last edited:
ill give u the equation x^3+x^2y+4y^2=6

i understand it now, the answer of this was factored out or cleaned up a bit, so i didn't notice there was an x outside of the paranthesis of 2y

[tex]x^3 + x^2y + 4y^2 = 6[/tex]

Okay, but do you know what implicit differentiation is? For example,

[tex]x + y = 1 [/itex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dx} + \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d1}{dx} [/tex]

[tex]1 + \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

Also for a product, the product rule applies, e.g.

[tex]xy = 1[/tex]

[tex]x*\frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{dx}{dx}*y = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do you differentiate between independent and dependent variables?

Independent variables are manipulated or controlled by the researcher, while dependent variables are affected by changes in the independent variable. In other words, the independent variable is the cause, and the dependent variable is the effect.

2. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable may be associated with a change in the other. Causation, on the other hand, implies that one variable directly causes a change in the other variable.

3. How do you differentiate between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data is descriptive and non-numerical, while quantitative data is numerical and can be measured or counted. Qualitative data is often used to gain an understanding of opinions, attitudes, or behaviors, while quantitative data is used for statistical analysis and to draw conclusions about a population.

4. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, which can be tested through research and experimentation. A theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon, based on a large body of evidence and research.

5. How do you differentiate between a sample and a population?

A sample is a smaller subset of a population, which is used to represent and make inferences about the entire population. The population is the entire group of individuals, objects, or events that the researcher is interested in studying.