How do you pronounce these people's names?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
Ramanujan
Feynman
Germain
Brouwer
Lagrange
Lebesgue
Stieltjes

..thank you.

I have only read about them, and was curious about the correct pronoucniation of their names.

EDIT - I was also wondering about Galois.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Janitor
Science Advisor
I've heard Feynman pronounced as FINE mun.

Not sure about the others.

The word "spinor," by the way, is pronounced like "spinner," not "spine ur."

How about Gell-Mann? Is it a hard 'G' like in "golf"? Which half of the name gets the accent?

Lagrange: la - grant - ch
this is how my professors pronounce

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stieltjes: steal tjus (u as in truck)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Monique,are u Dutch speaking native...?

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Galileo should help us.He's a student at Leiden,where there's this College of Mathematics bearing Stieltjes' name...

Daniel.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dextercioby said:
Monique,are u Dutch speaking native...?

Daniel.
Yup.

I'm trying to think of a way to explain the pronounciation of Brouwer.. but that is really a hard one :confused:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ah! Easy: flower, brouwer. Just replace the F with Br.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm french, so when it comes to saying the name of a mathematician it comes out right. :)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I've had a lotta trouble with Huygens...Or t'Hooft...How are they spelled ?

Daniel.

There was one prof I had from India and when he was covering quantum physics (which he pronounced phyg-uks) in a graduate class my friend was taking he would make references to using the Hartree-Fock method. Of course he would say something like: 'Theese is whare you need the Hearty-F**k' or at least it sounded that way to the amusement of the class. :rofl:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Feynman : fine(like the word)-muhn(rhymes with 'bun')

Brouwer : brow(as in 'eyebrow', rhymes roughly with 'how', but closer to the German 'frau')-uhr(like the ends of 'fur' and 'her') - edit : use Monique's pronunciation.

Lagrange : lah('ah' as in 'hard')-grahnzh (the 'zh' as in 'pleasure' , 'pressure' , 'leisure' - courtesy dexter)

Germain : zhuhr(rhymes with 'fur' and 'her')-man(like the word, closer to the è sound in French)

Lebesgue : lə('luh', rhymes roughly with 'the')-beg(like the word)

Galois : gahl(rhymes with the Dutch 'vaal'; 'ah' as in 'hard')-wah(same 'ah' sound)

Ramanujan : rah('ah' as in 'hard')-mah-nu('u' as in 'put')-juhn(rhymes with bun)

I've heard Gell-Mann pronounced with a hard 'g' (by some old physicist on Discovery Channel - he sounded like he was a contemporary). He (and others I've heard) pronounced the name gell-muhn (to rhyme with 'sell bun'), but I recall one time when I heard it pronounced gell-mahn.

Incidentally, Gell-Mann was a dabbler in linguistics and often corrected other peoples' pronunciations of their own names ! :biggrin:

la-grant-ch is hardly acceptable :yuck:

Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
polyb said:
'Theese is whare you need the Hearty-F**k' :rofl:
When little perturbations don't do it for you, you do need a hearty f**k ! :approve:

What an embarrassment - the only thing I pronounced right prior to reading this was Feynman.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
That "e" without any accent is a closed "e" and is approximately French "eu" or German "ö".

Gokul,about that "zh",i think in English u have the words:"pleisure" and "leisure".It's almost the same sound.

Daniel.

EDIT:You might add:"treasure" and "seizure".

Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dextercioby said:
That "e" without any accent is a closed "e" and is approximately French "eu" or German "ö".

Gokul,about that "zh",i think in English u have the words:"pleisure" and "leisure".It's almost the same sound.

Daniel.
Ouch ! Guess that completely skipped my head. Hope you don't mind if I go back and put in a correction.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
Lagrange : lah('ah' as in 'hard')-grahnzh (the 'zh' sound has no English usage that I can think of, but is the French pronunciation for the letters 'j' and 'g'-soft)
It rhymes with a snooty, Frenchified pronunciation of orange (unless you're in CA, and you have to first learn that it's pronounce ahr-ahnj, not oar-inj) :tongue2: That's the closest I can come up with anything in English that might help with that zh sound.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
It rhymes with a snooty, Frenchified pronunciation of orange
Snooty, frenchified ! :eek: That explains the weird looks I got at the grocery store. :biggrin:

Isn't "snooty, Frenchified" just short for 'French' ?

Gokul43201 said:
When little perturbations don't do it for you, you do need a hearty f**k ! :approve:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I guess that's what you need when a simple iteration by hand won't work! :rofl:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
Snooty, frenchified ! :eek: That explains the weird looks I got at the grocery store. :biggrin:

Isn't "snooty, Frenchified" just short for 'French' ?
It's the redneck pronunciation guide (please, someone rescue me from OH! I'm turning into one of them). :biggrin: Sort of like going to Target and calling it Tar-zhay.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Sort of like going to Target and calling it Tar-zhay.
You say that too ? Phew ! I got the feeling Billy Bob and Billy Ray didn't get what I was trying to say to them when I was giving them directions to the State Fair Rodeo event ("pass Target and keep driving till you see the red chateau; then turn left into the cul-de-sac").

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
You say that too ? Phew !
Yep, though have also been known to take the joke too far and insist on going to the local Kro-zhair (not sure how to show the pronunciation of the -er) for my groceries.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ooh, Tribby should make a table for thread hijackers next. Kro-zhair, I have been taught, is wrong :cry: Apparently it's supposed to be pronounced with a hard 'g'...the imbeciles ! :grumpy:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Huygens - "Hi-jens", or so I've heard.

And please, don't talk to me about the French today.... Grrr!