How Do You Solve a Partial Fraction Integration Problem?

Thank you so much for the help!In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral ∫1/x(x-1)2 by using the partial fraction method. The conversation includes a step-by-step explanation of how to express the expression in partial fraction form and how to solve for the coefficients of x0, x1, and x2. It also mentions a useful method of substituting values for x to simplify the process of finding the coefficients.
Alfy102

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫1/x(x-1)2, by using the partial fraction method2. The attempt at a solution

Stating in partial fraction form:

1/(x(x-1)2 = A/x + B/(x-1) + C/(x-1)2

1 = Ax(x-1)2/x + Bx(x-1)2/(x-1) + Cx(x-1)2/(x-1)2

1 = A(x-1)2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx

and this is where I am stuck because I must compare the coefficients to 1...any idea how I can go on after this?

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to express your expression like
1 = A(x-1)^2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx = Dx^2 + Ex + F

express D,E,F in terms of A,B and known numbers.

and you know that (Dx^2 + Ex + F = 1) for any x. To make it always equal to 1, your coefficients near x^2 and x must be 0 and your free coefficient must be 1.

Alfy102 said:
and this is where I am stuck because I must compare the coefficients to 1...any idea how I can go on after this?

That is exactly what you do. You'd have to expand and collect first to know the coefficients of x0, x1, x2.

A bit pedestrian. As this is an identity true for all x, what happens when you make x = 1, when you make x = 0 ?

ok, continuin with the given information from the people above:

1 = A(x2-2x+1) + Bx2-B + Cx

1 = Ax2-2Ax+A + Bx2-B + Cx

Sorting through, then I will get:

1 = Ax2 + Bx2 -2Ax + Cx + A - B

1 = (A+B)x2 - (2A-C)x + (A-B)

From the above equation:

A + B = 0

2A - C = 0

A - B = 1

Therefore A=1/2 , B= -1/2, C = 1

Rewriting the partial fraction form:

∫1/x(x-1)2 dx = ∫ (1/2)/x + (-1/2)/(x-1) + 1/(x-1)2 dx

= ∫ x/2 dx + ∫ -(x-1)/2 dx + ∫ 1/(x-1)2 dx

= x2/4 - (x2/4 - x/2) + ∫1/(x-1)2

Do I have to re-apply partial fraction at the last part as well?

You can certainly collect like terms: as a matter of fact that's how I used to do things also. However, epenguin described a really useful device for getting the coefficients in a much faster way.

Since you are trying to solve 1 = A(x-1)^2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx, this must hold for all x right? Well, try plugging x = 0 into this to find that (-1)^2A =1. Similarly, plugging in x=1 will give you C(1) =1. You can use these to solve for B.

Your way is still correct, but this way can save you the task of simplifying and avoid computational errors.

Edit: Just saw that the 2 was changed to a squared. Fixing my post to reflect that.

Last edited:
Alfy102 said:
= x2/4 - (x2/4 - x/2) + ∫1/(x-1)2

Do I have to re-apply partial fraction at the last part as well?

To which part? [itex] \int\frac1{(x-1)^2} dx [/itex]? This can be solved with substitution.

Edit: Made a mistake with my comment

Last edited:
All right, thanks guys. I've also done the substitution part.

u=x-1
du=dx

Finally got it.

At Kreizhn: Its "1 = A(x-1)^2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx", not "1 = A(x-1)2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx" or maybe you meant something else? :P

Thanks for point that out. I actually copied and pasted that line, so it must have been changed from somewhere. Anyway, I've fixed that post to reflect that fact. Also note that, as I warned earlier, you made a computational mistake in evaluating your partial fractions. You expanded Bx(x-1) = Bx^2 - B which is not correct. Give the method I mentioned a try and you'll see the answers practically throw themselves at you.

oh dayum...dayum...d.a.y.u.m...

Thank Kreizhn for pointing that out, ouch.

So from the method that you were saying:

1= A(x-1)2 + Bx(x-1) + Cx

Substitute x=0 to the equation, I will get:

1 = A(0-1)2 + B(0)(0-1) + C(0)

1= A(-1)^2

A=1

Substitute x =1 to the equation, I will get:

1 = A(1-1)2 + B(1)(1-1) + C(1)

C=1

Exactly. And you can use any other value to get an equation for B. Try x=2, that works nicely.

So, substituting x = 2, A = 1 and C = 1, I will get:

1 = A(2-1)^2 + B(2)(2-1) + C(2)

1 = A^2 + 2B + 2C

1= 1^1 + 2B + 2

2B = -2

B = -1

Got it, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. Learned something new here. When you say "can use any other value to get an equation for B", can it be implemented to find A and B as well? or I must use x = 0 and x = 1 to initially find A and C?

You can use anything. It's just that x=0 and x=1 were particularly useful because they happened to "kill" some of the other variables. In general, you won't be able to get rid all but one variable, but this gives a really easy way of getting the system of equations without needed to collect like terms.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Related to How Do You Solve a Partial Fraction Integration Problem?

1) What is a partial fraction problem?

A partial fraction problem is an algebraic problem where a rational function is decomposed into smaller, simpler fractions. This decomposition is useful for integration and solving equations.

2) How do you solve a partial fraction problem?

To solve a partial fraction problem, you need to follow these steps:
1. Factor the denominator of the rational function.
2. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with the same denominator.
3. Equate the coefficients of the terms with the same powers of the variable on both sides.
4. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the unknown coefficients.
5. Substitute these values into the partial fraction decomposition and simplify if necessary.

3) What is the purpose of solving a partial fraction problem?

Solving a partial fraction problem allows us to simplify and break down complex rational functions into simpler forms, making it easier to integrate or solve for unknown variables.

4) What are some common mistakes to watch out for when solving a partial fraction problem?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when solving a partial fraction problem include forgetting to factor the denominator, making errors when equating coefficients, and not simplifying the final answer.

5) Are there any tips for solving partial fraction problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving partial fraction problems more efficiently include practicing factoring and simplifying fractions, using a systematic approach, and double-checking your work to avoid errors.