How Do You Solve for the Hypotenuse Using SOH CAH TOA?

• Thread starter PreciousJade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
Otherwise, good work!In summary, when finding the hypotenuse using the SOH CAH TOA method, you can use the formula H = O/sin 30. Make sure your calculator is in degrees mode to avoid mistakes.
PreciousJade
I am very confused with this SOH CAH TOA problem.:confused:
sin30 = O/H
and what do you do when you are looking for Hypoteneuse ,
sin30 = 5/H
Like that, the answer is 10 but i really don't know how i should do this.
I tried sin30/5 and it didn't come out right, so HELP!:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot :)

The answer is 10. The sin function represents a ratio of sides, for this one, the opposite and hypotenuse post. sin(30) is always one half, regardless of the side lengths. So if the angle is 30 deg, and the opposite side is 5, then the sin function will give you the hypotenuse length because it gives you the ratio of one to the other.

If [itex] \sin 30 = \frac{1}{2} [/tex] then you can just say [itex] \frac{1}{2} = \frac{5}{H} [/tex]

Last edited:
know the unit circle? know how trig relates to triangles? that's how you should solve this problem, sohcahtoa is a crutch.

Do you mean you want to find the hypotenuse?
If so:

sin 30 = O/H
multiply both sides by H to give,
H sin 30 = O
then divide both sides by sin 30 to give
H = O/sin 30

Not sure if that what you meant though?

PreciousJade said:
I am very confused with this SOH CAH TOA problem.:confused:
sin30 = O/H
and what do you do when you are looking for Hypoteneuse ,
sin30 = 5/H
Like that, the answer is 10 but i really don't know how i should do this.
I tried sin30/5 and it didn't come out right, so HELP!:confused:
Was your calculator in degrees mode or radians mode?

If your calculator is in radians mode, you found the sine of 30 radians, or about 1719 degrees, which is definitely different than the sine of 30 degrees.(That tends to be the most common mistake)

Related to How Do You Solve for the Hypotenuse Using SOH CAH TOA?

1. What is SOH CAH TOA?

SOH CAH TOA is a mnemonic device used in trigonometry to remember the three basic trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, and tangent. It stands for "Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse," "Cosine equals Adjacent over Hypotenuse," and "Tangent equals Opposite over Adjacent."

2. How do you use SOH CAH TOA?

To use SOH CAH TOA, you must first identify the right triangle you are working with. Then, depending on the function you are solving for, you can use the corresponding formula. For example, if you are solving for sine, you would use the formula sin(theta) = opposite / hypotenuse.

3. Why is SOH CAH TOA important?

SOH CAH TOA is important because it helps us solve problems involving right triangles and angles. It is also a useful mnemonic device for remembering the three basic trigonometric functions and their corresponding formulas.

4. How can I remember SOH CAH TOA?

One way to remember SOH CAH TOA is to create a visual aid, such as a right triangle with the mnemonic written on the sides. Another way is to create a silly sentence using the first letter of each word, such as "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid."

5. Can SOH CAH TOA be used for non-right triangles?

No, SOH CAH TOA can only be used for right triangles. For non-right triangles, you would need to use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines to solve for the missing sides or angles.