How Do You Solve the Integral of x^2 exp(-2amx^2/h)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
leroyjenkens
Messages
621
Reaction score
49
I attached the solution from the solution manual of the integral I'm trying to figure out.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^{2}exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/tex]

The solution of that integral without the x2 in front is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

So with the x2 I assumed I needed to do integration by parts.

So taking u = x2, du = 2xdx
And taking dv to be [itex]exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/itex]

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

But v would only equal that in a definite integral. When I'm doing integration by parts, I have an indefinite integral. So I'm kinda stuck here. When I put it into wolfram alpha, I get an error function for the answer to that indefinite integral. Do I put that answer in as v?

Thanks.
 
Attachments
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi leroyjenkens,
Reexpress $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 \exp(-2amx^2/h) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \cdot x \exp(-2amx^2/h)dx$$ Does this hint at a different choice of u and v'?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
leroyjenkens said:
I attached the solution from the solution manual of the integral I'm trying to figure out.

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}x^{2}exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/tex]

The solution of that integral without the x2 in front is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

So with the x2 I assumed I needed to do integration by parts.

So taking u = x2, du = 2xdx
And taking dv to be [itex]exp(\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h})[/itex]

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{{\pi}h}{2am}}[/itex]

But v would only equal that in a definite integral. When I'm doing integration by parts, I have an indefinite integral. So I'm kinda stuck here. When I put it into wolfram alpha, I get an error function for the answer to that indefinite integral. Do I put that answer in as v?

Thanks.

You have the wrong u and v, since your dv is not integrable in terms of elementary functions. Try again.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks guys.
Does this hint at a different choice of u and v'?
Yes, that was clever.