How does a computer calculate acceleration and velocity?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab report on motion using a motion detector connected to a computer. The question is about how the computer calculates velocity and acceleration based on the position data, taken every 0.05 seconds. The initial thought was to use displacement/time and change in velocity/time, or the best linear fit and slope. However, neither method matched up with the data. The motion detector in question uses sound waves for motion sensing and the suggestion is to read the manual for more information.
h_k331
I am doing another lab report on motion. For this lab we used a motion detector connected to a computer to collect and display data about an object in motion. The question that I am having trouble with is how does the computer calculate velocity and acceleration based on the position data? (BTW the position is taken every 0.05 sec.) My initial thought was that the computer was finding the averages of veloicty and acceleration by using displacement/time and change in velocity/time. My second thought was that the computer used the best linear fit and took the slope of that line. I've tried both of these methods and neither matches up with the data. Any ideas?

Thanks,
hk

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the motion detector make/model? What does it use for motion sensing?

I don't know the make or model, I do know it uses sound waves for motion sensing.

hk

Im not sure about your motion detector, but speed cameras use the Doppler effect.

Google it for more info, but its what causes a car to sound different as it approaches you.

can you give some sample data?

gnpatterson said:
can you give some sample data?

Time--Position--Velocity--Acceleration
-(s)-----(m)-----(m/s)-----(m/s^2)

1.50___0.300____0.236______0.136
1.55___0.311____0.242______0.132
1.60___0.323____0.254______0.086
1.65___0.338____0.257_____-0.005
1.70___0.350____0.250_____-0.043

hk

I would recommend reading the manual for your particular type of motion sensor!

1. How does a computer calculate acceleration and velocity?

A computer calculates acceleration and velocity through mathematical equations using data on an object's position, speed, and time. It can also use sensors, such as accelerometers, to measure changes in an object's position and calculate acceleration and velocity based on those changes.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's speed is changing, while velocity measures how quickly an object's position is changing.

3. Can a computer calculate acceleration and velocity in any direction?

Yes, a computer can calculate acceleration and velocity in any direction as long as it has the necessary data and equations. For example, it can calculate horizontal and vertical acceleration and velocity for an object moving in a two-dimensional plane.

4. How does a computer use acceleration and velocity calculations in real-world applications?

Computers use acceleration and velocity calculations in a wide range of applications, such as navigation systems, video games, and simulations. They also play a crucial role in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics, where precise control of acceleration and velocity is necessary.

5. How accurate are a computer's calculations of acceleration and velocity?

This depends on the accuracy and precision of the data and equations used by the computer. In general, computers are capable of performing highly accurate and precise calculations, but errors can occur due to limitations in data or equations, as well as external factors like sensor accuracy and environmental conditions.