How does a current translate into turning a motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the practical application of physics in electrical circuits and the use of current to create a magnetic field, which is used in devices such as electric motors. The speaker mentions their experience with learning obscure calculations in physics and recommends websites for basic information about how things work.
LogicX
So you have a current flowing through a wire. How do you go from that to, say, spinning a fan blade when you flip a switch?

I took physics but they were more interested in teaching us obscure calculations than actually explaining practical material. If you want to know the total resistance of a circuit I can do that, I just can't tell you what on Earth you will be doing with that circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

LogicX said:
So you have a current flowing through a wire. How do you go from that to, say, spinning a fan blade when you flip a switch?

I took physics but they were more interested in teaching us obscure calculations than actually explaining practical material. If you want to know the total resistance of a circuit I can do that, I just can't tell you what on Earth you will be doing with that circuit.

xts said:

Yeah, wikipedia and howstuffworks.com are both pretty good places to get basic information about how things work:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/motor.htm

berkeman said:
Yeah, wikipedia and howstuffworks.com are both pretty good places to get basic information about how things work:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/motor.htm

Yes we obviously learned about inducing magnetic fields with a current in physics, I just didn't know that that was how most devices worked.

1. How does an electric current create motion in a motor?

An electric current passing through a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the motor's permanent magnets, causing the motor's armature (rotating part) to turn.

2. How does the amount of current affect the speed of a motor?

The amount of current flowing through a motor determines the strength of the magnetic field created. The stronger the magnetic field, the faster the motor will turn. Therefore, increasing the current will increase the speed of the motor.

3. Can a motor turn without a current?

No, a motor cannot turn without an electric current. The current is what creates the magnetic field that drives the motion of the motor. Without a current, there is no magnetic field to interact with the permanent magnets and create motion.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the motor's rotation?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field created. The interaction between this magnetic field and the permanent magnets will determine the direction of the motor's rotation. Reversing the direction of the current will also reverse the direction of the motor's rotation.

5. How does a motor's design affect the translation of current into motion?

The design of a motor, specifically the arrangement and strength of the permanent magnets and the shape and size of the armature, will determine the amount of current needed to create motion and the efficiency of the motor. A well-designed motor will translate current into motion more efficiently and require less current to turn.