How does a resistor exactly reduce current flow in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current and resistance in a circuit, with a focus on the speed of electricity and the role of electrons in carrying the current. It is mentioned that resistance is a property of the material and that the only thing that travels at near the speed of light is the pulse of the EM wave along the outside of the conductor. The conversation also touches on the difference between DC and AC circuits.
tor2006
Greeting .

It is clear to me that the resistor represents a physical obstruction to the passing current I do not know how exactly it works and I will try to show what I was really interested in the diagram.

Attachments

• res-600x368.jpg
    res-600x368.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 841
Engineering news on Phys.org
tor2006 said:
Greeting .

It is clear to me that the resistor represents a physical obstruction to the passing current I do not know how exactly it works and I will try to show what I was really interested in the diagram.
Current is like a bicycle chain --- all parts move at the same time. Actual electron movement is MUCH slower than you probably imagine. Google "drift current"

You may also notice that the number of electrons entering and leaving the battery are equal. So one side cannot flow faster than the other.

Likes davenn
tor2006 said:
Greeting .

Resistance is a property of the material; e.g. Metals have a lot of free electrons, which means in general they have less resistance. Higher the resistance, lesser the number of free electrons in the material. These electrons are what carries the current. (at speed of light)

Frenemy90210 said:
Resistance is a property of the material; e.g. Metals have a lot of free electrons, which means in general they have less resistance. Higher the resistance, lesser the number of free electrons in the material. These electrons are what carries the current. (at speed of light)
No, electricity in conductors does not travel at c but at a slightly lower speed.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electricity-doesnt-move-at-the-speed-of-light.5367/

phinds said:
No, electricity in conductors does not travel at c but at a slightly lower speed.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electricity-doesnt-move-at-the-speed-of-light.5367/

No, they travel even slower ... Drift velocity is mm to cm / sec depending on conductor and magnitude of the current

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

The only thing that travels at near the speed of light is the pulse of the EM wave along the outside of the conductor

In a DC circuit, it is a single initial pulse when the circuit is switched on. In an AC circuit, it is a cycling pulse at the rate of the AC signal frequencyDave

davenn said:
The only thing that travels at near the speed of light is the pulse of the EM wave along the outside of the conductor
A longitudinal wave of compression and rarefaction must also travel through the outer electrons in the conductor. Or not?

Likes davenn
davenn said:
No, they travel even slower ...
I specifically was not talking about electrons and drift velocity but electricity (that is, current)

phinds said:
I specifically was not talking about electrons and drift velocity but electricity (that is, current)

basically the same thing ... current is the flow/movement of charge (s), those charges are the electrons

As I said, Only the EM wave travels at near light speed :smile:

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to resist or limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is designed to reduce the amount of current passing through it.

2. How does a resistor reduce current flow?

A resistor reduces current flow by creating a significant amount of resistance in a circuit. This resistance causes a voltage drop, which in turn limits the amount of current that can pass through the circuit. The higher the resistance of the resistor, the lower the current flow will be.

3. What factors affect the amount of current flow through a resistor?

The amount of current flow through a resistor is affected by three main factors: the resistance of the resistor, the voltage applied to the circuit, and the temperature of the resistor. The higher the resistance and voltage, and the lower the temperature, the less current will flow through the resistor.

4. How do resistors affect the overall functioning of a circuit?

Resistors play an important role in the functioning of a circuit by controlling the flow of current and voltage. They can be used to limit current, divide voltage, and protect components from damage. In some circuits, resistors are used to create specific levels of resistance, which are necessary for proper functioning of the circuit.

5. Can resistors be used to increase current flow in a circuit?

No, resistors are designed to reduce current flow in a circuit. They act as a barrier to the flow of electricity and cannot be used to increase current. In fact, adding resistors in parallel can actually decrease the overall resistance and increase the current flow in a circuit.