How Does a Small Change in Speed and Angle Affect Projectile Range?

In summary, using differentials, the change in range of a projectile fired with initial velocity V0 = 400 ft/s and inclination angle θ = 30° to V0 = 410 ft/s and θ = 31° is approximately 129.24 ft.
reddawg

Homework Statement

The range of a projectile fired (in a vacuum) with initial velocity V0 and inclination angle θ from the horizontal is R = (1/32) * (V0)2 * sin(2θ).

Use differentials to approximate the change in range if V0 is increased from 400 ft/s to 410 ft/s and θ is increased from 30° to 31°.

Homework Equations

Setting up my equation:

dR = (∂R/∂V0) * dV0 + (∂R/∂θ) * dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the partials and substituting values:

sin(60°)/250 + cos(60°)/10,000 = 5216.51 ft.

This answer seems unreasonable, can anyone check my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you have done since you don't show all the steps in taking your differentials.

Did you apply all of the derivative rules correctly? I can't tell from the attempt at your solution, since you have already substituted numbers. What happened to the factor (1/32) from the original range equation?

The attempt at a solution:

Taking the partials:

∂R/∂V0 = (sin(2θ)*V0)/16

∂R/∂θ = (cos(2θ)*(V0)2)/16

dV0 = 10

dθ = 1

I then substituting and simplified.

Did you use radian measure for your dθ?

I thought I had calculator in degree mode, however I went back through with radian and verified d(theta) was in radians.

Also there was a sign error in my calculations so the new answer is 129.24 ft which seems more reasonable don't you think?

Yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to How Does a Small Change in Speed and Angle Affect Projectile Range?

1. What is the definition of a differential in Calc III?

In Calc III, a differential is defined as a small change in a variable or function, typically denoted by "dx" or "dy". It represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

2. How is a differential used in finding derivatives?

In finding derivatives, differentials are used to represent the change in a function as the input variable changes. This allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.

3. What is the difference between a partial differential and a total differential?

A partial differential is a differential with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant, while a total differential is a differential with respect to all variables. In other words, a partial differential is a partial derivative, while a total differential is the total derivative.

4. Can differentials be used to approximate values of functions?

Yes, differentials can be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. This is known as linear approximation, where the differential is used to find the tangent line to the function at the given point.

5. How does the chain rule apply to differentials in Calc III?

The chain rule still applies to differentials in Calc III, where the differential of a composite function is equal to the product of the differentials of its individual functions. This allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions.