How does corrosion affect the resistivity of copper wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of corrosion on copper and its resistivity. It mentions the possibility of corrosion changing the overall resistivity of a wire by reducing its cross-sectional area and the potential for corrosion products to have a higher resistivity, which would need to be taken into consideration in calculations. The conversation also briefly touches on the chemical reactions that copper can undergo and how these reactions may impact its conductivity.
Philip.plsHelp
moved to homework forum; member warned to use h/w template in future posts
I'm not sure if corrosion does have a significant effect on copper in general but if it does, how and why does it happen, and the process of it happening and its effect on the overall resistivity?

This is for a physics assignment...Please help if you can.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework (or similar) should be in the homework section of the forum so this thread might get moved.

What chemical reactions are you familiar with that involve copper? What can pure copper react with and what does it turn into? Do those reaction products conduct electricity? If not then the resulting wire will comprise less pure copper and more insulator than the original wire. That will change the overall resistivity.

Likes Philip.plsHelp
CWatters said:
Homework (or similar) should be in the homework section of the forum so this thread might get moved.

What chemical reactions are you familiar with that involve copper? What can pure copper react with and what does it turn into? Do those reaction products conduct electricity? If not then the resulting wire will comprise less pure copper and more insulator than the original wire. That will change the overall resistivity.
Thank you so much for answering. I didn't know the posting procedure as its my first time on here. Will remember next time..thanks

For a specimen of solid copper, the inside won't be exposed to the corroding agent(s). It is the (original) surface that will be corroded, though the corrosion will spread further and further into the metal. The corrosion would have to be very severe for none of the original metal to remain. For example, for a copper wire, it's the outer layers that would be corroded at first. There will be a huge increase in resistivity of the affected layers. Would you expect the uncorroded metal (if any remains) to suffer much change in resistivity?

Philip Wood said:
For a specimen of solid copper, the inside won't be exposed to the corroding agent(s). It is the (original) surface that will be corroded, though the corrosion will spread further and further into the metal. The corrosion would have to be very severe for none of the original metal to remain. For example, for a copper wire, it's the outer layers that would be corroded at first. There will be a huge increase in resistivity of the affected layers. Would you expect the uncorroded metal (if any remains) to suffer much change in resistivity?

I don't think the uncovered materiel in the copper wire will differ in the resistivity factor but the overall resistivity might change since the resistance is inversely proportional to the cross sectional area of the wire and the resistance of the wire will increase as the area decreases.But then again I ain't no expert, kinda why i am on a physics forum :)

Thanks anyway :)

I don't find the idea of overall resistivity (mean resistivity?) much help here. I'd have thought the corroded wire (if you're dealing with a wire) is better modeled as a cylinder of uncorroded copper metal (of smaller diameter than the original wire, but resistivity unaffected) in parallel with a 'sheath' of corrosion products of very high resistivity. I'd have thought, too, that the sheath's resistance would be so high compared to the resistance of the copper 'core', that the sheath can be forgotten about altogether when calculating the overall resistance.

Likes Merlin3189
+1 to that.

The resistance of a wire depends on the cross-sectional area. It's fairly obvious that if you dissolve away the outside with acid then the cross sectional area reduces and the resistance increases. If the outside reacts with another chemical (Oxygen? Sulphur?) then you need to find out if the products of that reaction have a lower or higher resistivity. For most I think the resistivity will be so high that it can be ignored. If not then model it as two "wires" in parallel.

1. How does corrosion affect the resistivity of copper wire?

Corrosion is the process of gradual deterioration of a metal due to chemical reactions with its surroundings. In the case of copper wire, corrosion can increase the resistivity of the wire by creating barriers for the flow of electricity. This is because corrosion can form a layer of non-conductive material on the surface of the wire, hindering the movement of electrons.

2. Can corrosion completely destroy the conductivity of copper wire?

Yes, if left untreated, corrosion can completely destroy the conductivity of copper wire. However, this process can take a long time and may depend on the environment in which the wire is placed. If the wire is constantly exposed to corrosive elements, it is more likely to lose its conductivity faster.

3. How can I prevent corrosion from affecting the resistivity of copper wire?

To prevent corrosion from affecting the resistivity of copper wire, it is important to protect the wire from exposure to corrosive elements such as moisture, oxygen, and certain chemicals. This can be done by using a protective coating on the wire or by storing it in a dry and controlled environment.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the resistivity of copper wire?

Yes, apart from corrosion, other factors such as temperature, impurities, and mechanical stress can also affect the resistivity of copper wire. High temperatures can increase the resistivity of copper wire, while impurities and mechanical stress can decrease it.

5. Is it possible to reverse the effects of corrosion on the resistivity of copper wire?

In some cases, it is possible to reverse the effects of corrosion on the resistivity of copper wire by cleaning and removing the corroded layer from the surface. However, this may not always be effective and it is best to prevent corrosion from occurring in the first place.