How Does Elastic Collision Work in Two Dimensions?

In summary: Momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. So we can write equations for the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy:Conservation of momentum:m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2fwhere m1 and m2 are the masses of the two pucks, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of puck A and B, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities after the collision.Conservation of kinetic energy:1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v
Kitty808

Homework Statement

A hockey puck B rests on a smooth surface of ice and is struck by a second puck A , which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A. The pucks have the same mass.
-Compute the speed of puck A after the collision.
-Compute the speed of puck B after the collision.
-What fraction of the original kinetic energy of puck A dissipates during the collision?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This has got me really confused. I don't even know where to begin. I drew a diagram thought I was supposed to find the x and y components of A to get the final velocity of A and then change in A equals the negative change in B, but I'm not getting it. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
show more work...

what diagram did you draw?
what equations would you need to satisfy?

My diagram shows puck A moving in the positive x direction at 40 m/s and colliding with puck B. After the collision puck A is deflected 30.0 degrees relative to the positive x-axis at some final velocity. Puck B moves from rest to some final velocity 45 degrees relative to the negative x axis.
I'm not exactly sure which equation(s) I need. I'm assume because the masses are unknown but equal, the equation change in velocity of A is equal to the negative change in the velocity of B.

In general, what happens in a collision?

Related to How Does Elastic Collision Work in Two Dimensions?

1. What is an elastic collision in 2-D?

An elastic collision in 2-D is a type of collision between two objects where kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is the velocity of objects after an elastic collision in 2-D calculated?

The velocity of objects after an elastic collision in 2-D can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the mass, initial velocity, and final velocity of the objects involved in the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision in 2-D?

In an elastic collision in 2-D, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In contrast, in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved while some kinetic energy is lost due to external forces such as friction or deformation of the objects involved.

4. Can an elastic collision in 2-D occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision in 2-D can occur between objects of different masses. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations take into account the masses of the objects, so the velocities of the objects after the collision will depend on their masses.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions in 2-D?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions in 2-D include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two air hockey pucks colliding on the air hockey table, and two cars colliding on a frictionless surface. These collisions demonstrate the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in a 2-D system.