How does feedback affect the transfer function of an integrating block?

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct solution and a possible error in the given answer. The correct solution involves constructing a block diagram with an integrating block and feedback, resulting in a lowpass response. The formula shown in blue agrees with this solution, while the incorrect red formula cannot be achieved with a first-order block and P-feedback.
Setareh7796
Homework Statement
Finding the transfer function
Relevant Equations
I have written my solution in the pic attached.
The correct solution is different than my answer, I am not sure where I am going wrong?
20200522_101516.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct considering the block diagram you have drawn.
Did you construct the block diagram on your own using the data in the problem or was the block diagram already given in the problem?

If you developed it on your own, you need to post the exact question here to verify if your block diagram itself is correctly drawn as per the given data.

Last edited:
Yes - correct answer. The block diagram shows an integrating block with feedback (proportional).
This gives a lowpass response - which is in agreement with your formula (in blue).
The red one is wrong - a first oder block with P-feedback cannot give a 2nd-order functioin.

What is a transfer function in control systems?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze and design control systems, as it provides valuable information about the system's behavior and stability.

How is a transfer function derived?

A transfer function is typically derived from the differential equations that describe a system. By taking the Laplace transform of these equations, the transfer function can be obtained. Alternatively, it can also be derived experimentally by measuring the input and output of a system and calculating the ratio between them.

What information can be obtained from a transfer function?

A transfer function provides information about the system's steady-state response, stability, and frequency response. It can also be used to determine the system's poles and zeros, which are important for stability analysis and controller design.

What is the relationship between the transfer function and the frequency response?

The frequency response of a system is the magnitude and phase of the output signal when the input is a sinusoidal signal at different frequencies. The transfer function is simply the ratio between the output and input signals in the frequency domain, making it a crucial tool for analyzing the frequency response of a system.

How is a transfer function used in control system design?

A transfer function is used to design controllers that can improve the performance and stability of a system. By analyzing the transfer function, engineers can determine the appropriate controller parameters, such as gain and phase, to achieve the desired response. The transfer function is also used to evaluate the closed-loop performance of a control system.