How Does Light Behave Near a Star?

In summary: The correct term is "quantum wave-particle duality." This is a subtle but significant difference, and it is the key to understanding why light behaves the way it does in the extreme gravitational environment near a star.
bodykey
I have an interesting question. I believe this would be the appropriate spot to post this as well.

I understand that light is both a wave and a particle, or can be perceived as one or the other in specific circumstances, known as wave-particle duality.

So my question is this, under such extreme gravitational forces near a star, how does light behave? In this kind of environment, is it a wave, or is it a particle, or both, or does it shift back and forth? Does it take on other properties or react to things differently?

Here's the back story on this question. I was just watching a video talking about super-novas, and that when a star tries to combine other elements with iron, it becomes extremely volotile and unstable and explodes almost immediately. The energy output of a supernova is extremely massive. During such an event, does light itself become affected? If so...how? Is there any way that such an effect could possibly benefit mankind in the distant future?

Just an interesting question and I didn't know anything about it so I figured I'd ask here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The best way to understand light without going into the details of quantum physics is that light travels as a wave but is detected in little chunks of energy we call photons. So it never changes between forms because there is only one "form", the one I just described.

And no, supernovas have no effect on light like you're thinking. They just emit a lot of it.

bodykey said:
I understand that light is both a wave and a particle, or can be perceived as one or the other in specific circumstances, known as wave-particle duality.

To expand just a bit on what Drakkith said, light is NOT a particle and a wave, it is neither one. It is a quantum object. It sometimes ACTS like a particle and sometimes like a wave but it is not either one, as I said.

"wave-particle duality" is a deprecated term in modern physics because it leads to the exact misunderstanding that you have arrived at.

Related to How Does Light Behave Near a Star?

1. How does the behavior of light change near a star?

The behavior of light near a star is affected by the star's mass, temperature, and distance from Earth. As light travels towards a star, it may be bent or refracted due to the star's gravitational pull. The temperature of the star also determines the type of light emitted, with hotter stars emitting more blue light and cooler stars emitting more red light.

2. Why does light bend near a star?

Light bends near a star due to the star's strong gravitational pull. This is known as gravitational lensing and is a result of Einstein's theory of general relativity. The mass of the star causes the space around it to curve, which in turn affects the path of light passing by.

3. Can we see the effects of light bending near a star from Earth?

Yes, we can see the effects of light bending near a star from Earth. This is especially noticeable during a solar eclipse when the light from distant stars appears to be bent as it passes near the Sun. Scientists also use telescopes and other instruments to observe and study the effects of light bending near stars.

4. How does the distance from a star affect the behavior of light?

The distance from a star can greatly affect the behavior of light. The closer the star, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more likely it is to bend or refract light passing by. The distance also determines the intensity of light and can affect the colors that are visible to us.

5. What can we learn from studying the behavior of light near a star?

Studying the behavior of light near a star can provide valuable information about the star's properties, such as its mass and temperature. It can also help us understand the effects of gravity on light and how it can be used as a tool for studying the universe. Additionally, studying light near stars can help us discover new planets and other celestial objects that may be hidden from view due to the star's light.