How does quantum entanglement communication work?

In summary, the communication between two parties in quantum entanglement is not in the traditional sense, and it does not propagate physically. The entanglement is due to the preparation of the system in an entangled state and can only be observed through comparison and measurement. While it may be difficult to believe, it has been proven through experiments and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.
Frenemy90210
Specifically do we know how the two parties (photons) involved communicate ? how does the state information transferred. Is it transferred by some waves similar to radio waves ? I somehow still can not believe that its real.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frenemy90210 said:
Specifically do we know how the two parties (photons) involved communicate ? how does the state information transferred. Is it transferred by some waves similar to radio waves ? I somehow still can not believe that its real.
It does not "communicate" in the sense that you seem to mean, and it certainly does not propagate in any physical sense, since to do so it would have to "communicate" at the speed of light or less, whereas entanglement is instantaneous.

Yes, this can be difficult to believe when you first learn about it, but it is quite real and has been verified by many experiments.

Nothing communicates instantaneously according to the best theory we have, which is local, microcausal relativistic QFT. The interactions are local, and the linked-cluster principle holds (see Weinberg, QT of Fields, vol. I). The stronger-than-classical correlations between far distant parts of quantum systems, described by entanglement, are due to the preparation of the system in such an entangled state, which clearly has to be made before the measurement at far distant places. None of the single observers can figure out that his part of the system is entangled with the other. To that end both parties have to take their measurement protocols and compare them to see the correlations, for which you need a "classical channel of communication", i.e., you are again bound by the speed-of-light limit.

vanhees71 said:
The stronger-than-classical correlations between far distant parts of quantum systems, described by entanglement, are due to the preparation of the system in such an entangled state, which clearly has to be made before the measurement at far distant places.

I don't disagree that nothing is communicating instantaneously, which is your key point to the OP. However, any discussion of causality and locality is going to run afoul of interpretations, which obviously is outside this thread (and dreaded). So a quibble... Entanglement can occur after measurement via swapping. See:

Experimental Nonlocality Proof of Quantum Teleportation and Entanglement Swapping
Thomas Jennewein, Gregor Weihs, Jian-Wei Pan, Anton Zeilinger
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0201134

"...Alice’s measurement projects photons 0 and 3 into an entangled state after they have been measured."

You and I have previously discussed this, I believe.

DrChinese said:
Experimental Nonlocality Proof of Quantum Teleportation and Entanglement Swapping
Thomas Jennewein, Gregor Weihs, Jian-Wei Pan, Anton Zeilinger
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0201134

"...Alice’s measurement projects photons 0 and 3 into an entangled state after they have been measured."

You and I have previously discussed this, I believe.
Yes, but also there you need entangled states to be prepared before you can "swap the entanglement". By construction a local relativistic microcausal QFT obeys the linked-cluster principle and thus cannot violate causality by construction. It's a mathematical fact, and you can only run into quibbles through wrong interpretations. I have not seen any other interpretation than the minimal statistical interpretation, taking Born's rule seriously and as a vital postulate of Q(F)T.

1. What is quantum entanglement communication?

Quantum entanglement communication is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected or "entangled" in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement communication work?

Quantum entanglement communication works by creating a pair of entangled particles and separating them. When a change is made to one particle, the other particle will also change instantaneously, even if they are separated by vast distances. This allows for communication to occur without the need for a physical connection.

3. What is the potential impact of quantum entanglement communication?

The potential impact of quantum entanglement communication is vast. It could lead to ultra-secure communication that cannot be intercepted or hacked, as any attempt to intercept the communication would cause the particles to become disentangled and the communication to be disrupted. It could also greatly improve the speed and efficiency of communication, potentially revolutionizing technology and communication systems.

4. What challenges are involved in implementing quantum entanglement communication?

One of the main challenges in implementing quantum entanglement communication is maintaining the entanglement of the particles over long distances. The entanglement of particles can be easily disrupted by external factors such as interference or noise, which can make it difficult to achieve reliable communication. Additionally, the technology and infrastructure needed for quantum entanglement communication are still in the early stages of development.

5. Is quantum entanglement communication currently being used?

While quantum entanglement communication is a well-established phenomenon in quantum physics, it is not yet being used for practical communication purposes on a large scale. However, there have been successful demonstrations of quantum entanglement communication over short distances, and researchers are actively working towards developing the technology for practical applications.