How Does Special Relativity Affect the Mass of Colliding Particles?

In summary, this conversation discusses the calculation of the resulting mass when two identical masses are initially at rest, separated by a distance x, and one is accelerated by a constant force F until it collides and combines with the other. The equations of conservation of energy and momentum are mentioned, as well as the use of the equation E2 = p2c2 + (2m)2c2. The need to calculate the energy and momentum of the mass before the impact is also discussed. The use of the equation mc^2 + gamma*m*c^2 is suggested as a potential solution.
coppersauce

Homework Statement

Two identical masses m are initially at rest, separated by a distance x. A constant force F
accelerates one particle until it collides and combines with the other. What is the mass of
the resulting particle?

Homework Equations

F = gamma3mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Presumably you must calculate conservation of energy (which is whatever the energy is of the single mass moving must equal that of them combined).

Then I guess you need to calculate conservation of momentum, which should also be easy especially since it's in one direction after all.

Lastly you could just plug it into the equation E2 = p2c2 + (2m)2c2

The thing I don't understand is what energy/momentum the mass has pre-impact. We've never done a problem with the equation I gave before so I'm not sure if it's needed, but in any case I attempted solving with that equation for F and then multiplying by t to get the momentum and got c3*m*a*t/(c2 - (at)2)3/2 which seemed way too complicated for so early. I would also just do energy of the big mass = gamma*m*c^2+mc^2 and that would give me the part for E^2 and i w ould have all necessary parts... But I don't know if my original thing is right at all :/

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How Does Special Relativity Affect the Mass of Colliding Particles?

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes how objects move in a space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative motion or position.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newtonian Mechanics?

While Newtonian Mechanics describes the motion of objects in a non-accelerating reference frame, Special Relativity takes into account the effects of high speeds and acceleration. It also introduces the concept of space and time being relative to the observer and not absolute.

3. Can Special Relativity explain the Twin Paradox?

Yes, the Twin Paradox is a thought experiment that demonstrates the effects of time dilation in Special Relativity. It involves one twin traveling at high speeds while the other stays on Earth, resulting in the traveling twin aging slower than the stationary twin.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in Special Relativity?

In Special Relativity, the speed of light is considered the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is a fundamental principle of the theory and has been experimentally proven to be accurate.

5. Can Special Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, Special Relativity has real-world applications in fields such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and astronomy. While the effects may be small in everyday scenarios, they are significant in situations involving high speeds and/or precision measurements.